*

"Trust me" said Laurie in a last attempt as he drove out of their precinct. "Dana will be back in a moment with a burger in hand"

"You don't understand" muttered Stana.

It was well past dusk. The sun had gone down the horizon leaving traces of faint light behind. Stars were beginning to pop up in the sky as it got steadily darker. A rush of chilly wind swept across their faces.

"Then, enlighten me" retorted Laurie.

"She did not look normal, Kingsley" said Stana, as she held her phone from one hand, listening to further interrogation of Mr Bishop by Ashley. On other other hand, she was dialling Dana's number repeatedly using Laurie's phone.

"I have never seen Dana look like that" added Stana. "It looked like she was bubbling to the surface with an emotion, waiting to explode. You should've seen how she stormed out of the door! If it's trivial, why didn't she tell us where she's going? For God's sake, why isn't she answering our calls!"

Laurie had no answer to that. So they mutually agreed that they must first go look for Dana in her house and then explore other options. They drove in silence after that, listening to more of Mr Bishop's confession.

"So" said Ashley, sounding strong and determined. "To move on, would you tell us more about why Meredith left so abruptly? You said your business was at its peak and that she was flourishing. It seems so odd that she chose that precise moment to walk out of everything"

Mr Bishop took a deep breath. "It'as abrupt to you as it is to me. But, I can make a wild guess. It was precisely the same time Meredith heard what happened to her sister and brother in law. To start from the beginning, Meredith believed she was leaving Beverly in safe hands when she left the house with Alec. But Norman failed her. It shook Meredith, when she heard Norman had abandoned Beverly. Later, little Beverly was taken under the refuge of Meredith's sister, Dianne Jane Bernard and brother in law, Charlie Rufus Bernard. Meredith was happy they were taking good care of Beverly. She even heard from inside sources that little Beverly had changed her name to Dana Bernard and was aspiring to become a cop just like her aunt. But the happiness only lasted a few years. Sheriff Dianne Jane Bernard and her husband Charlie Rufus Bernard died under mysterious circumstances. The case was closed saying they died a natural death. Yet, from inside sources Meredith had learned that Dianne's body had bruises on it. Besides, it was totally out of the blue for a young healthy couple to drop dead at the same time. Meredith started beating herself up since then. Little Beverly was an orphan again because of her. She must not have left her daughter in the first place. She could not focus on work after that. She said she needed a time out. Then, never came back"

Laurie and Stana were listening with rapt attention. In fact, Stana was so intently listening to Mr Bishop's story that she fumbled with Laurie's phone while dialling Dana's number.

Ashley took a while to process everything. "So, you did not try to contact Meredith after that?" said she into the mic.

"I did but it was all in vain" replied Mr Bishop. "It was around the same time I had learned that Beverly was my daughter. Now that she was without parental care, I started keeping track of her. When she moved to Texas, I got a house opposite to hers just to keep an eye on her. Also, that is the reason I kept following her around. To be honest, I was also half expecting Meredith to appear on Dana's doorstep one day looking for her daughter. But it never happened"

"So" said Ashley almost instantaneously, as though she was burning to ask the next question. "You've been fooling around people calling yourself an exorcist? All the statements you've made regarding Dana's house being haunted was just an excuse to get close to her?"

"That's so not true" said Bishop looking affronted. "I was an exorcist as much as I was Diablos. I believe in ghosts and spirits. And I am one hundred percent sure that Dana is surrounded by some very bad forces"

"What are you talking about?"

Mr Bishop took a deep breath. "I have seen it through my third eye" added Mr Bishop. "From my kitchen, I can directly look into the window in Dana's study and I've seen shadows lurking. Some deadly, dark shadows. The demon that follows her around is in her house"

"Nonsense" muttered Laurie, rolling his eyes as he drove the car. But, something dawned on Stana. The demon that follows her around is in her house.....The demon that follows her around is in her house.....

And then, a familiar voice boomed from Laurie's phone. "Hello?"

"Bernard!" said Stana horrified. "Where are you? Why did you suddenly walk out of the room?"

"Just listen to me" Dana said urgently. "And do not ask any questions. Also, do not try to convince me to not do what I am about to do.  I am about to reach my house"

"Your house?" asked Laurie.

"Yes, Laurie my house. As I was listening to Mr Bishop's confession, I got a text message from Gerard Bucklebaron himself. He said he was the killer and that he was waiting in my house for me. I want to go face him. I feel this is my personal battle. It all started because of me and it's my responsibility to put an end to this. Don't try to call me again"

With that, Dana hung up.

"Bernard! No wait! Listen to me! There's something you should know!" shouted Stana into the phone. But it was of no use. Dana was gone and she wasn't going to answer another call from them.

"Laurie, you have to hurry up" Stana said urgently. "We have to get to Dana's house as soon as we can"