28- Chatting with Jordan

Things were a bit awkward between Dana, Laurie and Ashley the following morning. Dana was giving Ashley the cold shoulder. She was still angry at Ashley for suggesting bringing another person into the investigation and Ashley was hesitant to initiate any sort of conversation. It was Laurie who was juggling between the two, failing miserably to patch the fallout.

"The passageways are well- built" said Laurie, in another pathetic attempt. "It prevents the stray from getting lost"

All three of them were walking into the confines of St Teresa's Institute of Mental Health, Texas. Dr Phil Montez had phoned Dana early in the morning and said that there was something very important for her to come and see. It was really hard to leave Sunil behind on a Saturday but the thought of getting a lead out of Daphne encouraged her. She promised to get back home as soon as she could and called Laurie, asking him to bring Ashley along with him to St Teresa's Institute of Mental Health.

Dana was too thrilled to notice the interiors of the hospital, straggling patients or staring nurses. They finally turned around a corner and strode straight into the first door on the left to meet the smiling face of Dr Phil Montez. He beckoned them in and shut the door behind.

At first, Dana thought the room was empty except for the four of them. The peeling walls were painted white and almost everything, starting from the fireplace to the portraits on mantelshelf were white. Daphne's pale face barely stood out in the room.

She looked better than the last time but still wasn't anywhere close to full recovery. They could simply tell that from her face. She'd put on weight so it was evident that her eating habits had improved. Her cheeks weren't as drawn in as before and the cut under her lip was healing. Her beautiful, long, silky mane was combed neatly and tied back in a ponytail. But, her eyes were still vacant, staring desperately, almost longingly at something that didn't exist. Laurie shuddered to think what it might be. Her long, pale fingers were fumbling knots on the bed- sheet she was lying on.

"Daphne is a go- getter" said Dr Phil Montez, smiling wider as his eyes fell on Daphne. "She's improving fast and at this rate I'm sure she'd be up and about sooner than I expected"

The corner of Daphne's lips twitched as though she was trying to smile.

"This morning, I was trying to make conversation with her" explained Dr Montez, his eyes twinkling. "I was talking about random things like the weather and the wind. Suddenly, her eyes brimmed with tears. It wasn't like the episode we had the other day. She wasn't thrashing or screaming, just crying, silently, as if the thought of something was making her heart bleed. Then she motioned for a pen and drew something..." Dr Montez paused and mimicked her.

"I was so happy there were tears of joy in my eyes" he went on, sliding one of his hands into a pocket and bringing out a folded paper. "If you were here, you would have had a tough time figuring who the patient was"

Dana's fingers laced around the paper, her heart beating like crazy. Laurie and Ashley inched closer to her, their faces screaming curiosity.

Dr Montez smiled and beckoned them to open it. Laurie wondered if his muscles ever ached from constant smiling.

Dana had trouble opening the paper without giving away her trembling fingers. Ashley looked so excited that it was a miracle she didn't pass out then and there.

"I wonder what it could be" murmured Laurie as the rustle of the paper filled their ears. "I mean, she only heard the killer's voice and that's hardly something she could illustrate with a sketch. Anyway, I don't deny any clue at this point would be useful. I just hope it's not the horrified face of Gabi as that must've been the last thing registered in her mind..."