Chapter 41

"This is insane" cried Damien, as Jeremy drove like a madman. They were in Damien's car following the black Ferrari f430 in which Sophia had got in with a man they knew not. Damien was about to get in the driver's seat but Jeremy insisted to drive because he had a feeling that something was wrong and wanted to work to feel involved. Damien did not like letting other people drive his car but he thought it was better not to argue. Noah was seated silently at the backseat while Damien raved on and on about nothing and everything in particular.

"This is insane" he repeated, as Jeremy swerved rashly and narrowly prevented the car from being rammed in between a truck and a tree. "I don't understand how Sophia could have gotten out of the bathroom. I mean, the three of us were keeping an eye on the door, weren't we? It sounds like magic you know, more like the stuff Dad talks. I don't usually believe it, but there simply isn't any other explanation that rationalises her just popping out of nowhere in the middle of the airport when she was supposed to be in a bathroom..."

Jeremy was so preoccupied with his own thoughts that he didn't even notice the absurdity of Damien's words. Why would Damien and Noah keep an eye on Sophia?

"Damien" said Noah. "If you don't shut up right now, I swear I'll throw you out of the car. And Jeremy, pal, I understand you're having a rough time but we need to stay alive in order to find Sophia. I hope you bear that in mind"

"I'm sorry" said Jeremy, slowing down a little. The black Ferrari f430 wasn't something they could miss even amongst a sea of cars. It's sleek black colour, the size and everything about it made it stand out wherever it was. Jeremy tried catching the face of the man driving the car through the reflection from the rear view mirror but it wasn't clear.

"I just feel Sophia was not herself since she entered the airport or she might've been like that since a while before, I didn't watch her closely. She was drunk, alright, but there was something wrong about her eyes. The way she looked at me before she got into the restroom... It was weird"

"Come on man, don't be paranoid" said Damien, slapping Jeremy a little too hard on his back. "The pirouette she tried to perform while standing in the queue... I bet that's just an after effect of the alcohol. Trust me, I know a drunk person when I see one. It's just that there's a chance that someone might've taken advantage of her at that time. And that's why we're following the car right now. Don't worry, we won't let anything bad happen to Sophia"

Jeremy found that partially convincing. For some reason, he found to precisely word the expression on Sophia's face before she went for the Ladies' room. Even though she was looking at him at that time, it was as though her mind was wandering in some faraway land. He would never be able to explain that properly to someone and they would never be able to understand. He reckoned it was better to stay put and see what happened next.

They were almost well into the night now. Crickets had started to squeak and stars had already popped up in the cloudy night sky giving it some sort of a misty glow.

The Ferrari turned around a corner and sped into a street that was scantily populated. There were huge trees with thick trunks branching out on either side of the lane, hiding even the meagre light they were getting from the stars.

"Why isn't there any street lamp in this place?" Asked Damien, his voice slightly quavering. The only lights for their path were the ones coming out of their own car and the Ferrari.

"It wouldn't have been of much use" stated Noah. "These gigantic trees would have hidden them anyway. Who knows, there probably is one in there already concealed by the thickets"

To make matters worse, the light from the Ferrari was beginning to grow dim.

"Is it just my eyes or do you guys as well, see that happening?" Said Damien.