Chapter 50

Laurie looked like he'd smacked his head on a wall. Ashley put down the mic, horrified.

"Beverly... Dana say something... Please" begged Mr Bishop from the other side of the glass pane, craning his neck and narrowing his eyes to try and catch a glimpse of what was going on.

"Where on Earth is Bernard?" said Stana looking just as stunned as everyone else in the room.

The other two looked at her nonplussed.

"Bernard, if you're not going to say something right now, I am going to come there right away" said Bishop.

There was a pause when the dim bulb above Mr Bishop glimmered faintly just as his decision making ability at the moment and then, Laurie broke out.

"What the hell?" was all he managed to say as he looked at Mr Bishop's eager face from the glass. "This duffus is Bernard's father?"

Stana grabbed the mic from Ashley, gave them a warning look and spoke into it .

"Mr Bishop, sherriff Bernard says she needs a moment to gather herself. She'll be back after a while. Meanwhile, we'll have to continue interrogating you"

Mr Bishop smiled weakly. "Oh yes, I understand. These revelations must be too hard on Bernard. What with her mother being the Diablos and her father a total stranger and a weirdo calling himself an exorcist and selling anti demonic solutions...."

"Listen" Stana whispered urgently, putting down the mic. Mr Bishop was raving in the background. "We need to find Dana right away"

"She could be inside the office" suggested Laurie .

"No, she's not" replied Stana. "I saw her car speeding away"

"What was so urgent that she had to leave Mr Bishop's confession midway?" mused Ashley.

"She was messaging someone on her phone" informed Stana as Mr Bishop was saying "I am so sorry I had to keep it a secret so long. In my defense, you were a cop and as much as I cared about you, I didn't want to see our empire, the one that Meredith and I built after so much hardship, tumbling down to the ground..."

Stana called Dana several times with no luck. It went straight to voicemail.

Frustrated, Stana put down her phone, took a deep breath and said "Laurie, you and I should go and look for her in all the possible places. Meanwhile, Ashley, keep questioning Mr Bishop and do not let him find out what's going on"

"It truly broke Meredith's heart to leave her one and only daughter behind. But she thought Norman loved you and would take good çare of you. How wrong she was...."

Laurie cast the old, bulging man one look of disgust and went on. "I reckon we shouldn't be making such a fuss. Perhaps, Bernard's gone to a nearby kiosk to get something to eat. She looked a bit famished to me"

"You think she left in the middle of an important confession as that for food?" fired Ashley.

"I can still picture her expression when she left the room" recalled Stana. "She looked really mad. Also, there was an air of strange satisfaction"

"I say she was hungry. That's all" said Laurie matter of factly.

"Laurie" said Stana with an unmistakable finality in her tone. "I am going to go look for her with or without you. Ashley, will you keep the interrogation going?"

"Sure" said Ashley. Stana nodded and stormed out of the room.

Taking a moment to roll his eyes, Laurie followed her suit.