10 - raiding the house

Later that evening...

Dana, Ashley and a handful of rookie cops from the Houston police department were swarming around the house in question.

The matter was slowly beginning to grab the attention of people round the house. Curtains were drawn apart and curious faces were peeping out, eager to know what this scandal was all about.

Dana signalled a few of them to follow close behind her while she took the lead. The others were to go round about and check if there's any means of escape at the back of the house.

" Houston police department! Open the door!" Yelled Dana .

Silence.

" Houston police department! Is anybody in there ?"

Silence.

With one swift glance towards the others, Dana kicked the door, garnering all her strength. The door flung open with a bang.

She scuttled in and the others followed her, their guns on point and eyes alert, scanning every inch of the house for any suspicious activity.

The drawing room was empty. Empty as in, ridiculously empty. There was no furniture, no spot and no blemish . No sign of any human existence in there.

Squads had scuttled into the rooms, kitchen and bathrooms. All of them were coming back shouting " clear"

Ashley was striding towards her along with the squad that had gone to check the back yard.

" Both the garage and the house has got a spare entrance at the back. The garage is clear, no sign of any car. Its absolutely wiped out!"

" Is there a camera at the back? " Dana queried, looking dumbfound.

" Yes but it's disabled" said a cop, who was coming from the back door.

Dana leaned on a wall and pondered for a moment. "He knew we'll move coins this way. He knew we'd trace him through the cameras so he intentionally drove his Ferrari all the way here, parked it in the garage and got inside the house, just to give us an impression that he's in here. Then, very cleverly , he disabled the camera in the backyard, got into the garage through a spare door and drove it away , leaving us no way to trace him back"

"He could have done that in the first place" said a rookie cop. "Why give us this trouble of following him?"

" Because, he wants us to know, he isn't an easy target" said Ashley.

"Does that mean we're back in square one?" Asked another rookie cop .

Just then, Dana's phone rang. She picked it up and held it on her ear.

" Laurie, this house has led us to a dead end" she said into the phone.

" What? Never mind!" Said Laurie, urgently. "There's something else you should know"

" I'm all ears"

"Is the Ferrari inside the garage?"

"No"

"Well, that explains it. I tried to locate the car at the moment and I was able to connect with the GPS in the car. It looked like the system was guarded with a security firewall but thankfully, there was a breach "

"Good job, Laurie " said Dana into the phone and gestured everyone to get back into their cars for another raid. " Where exactly is this car now?"

"Hmm " said Laurie into the phone.
" Two streets down the harbour. But, you have to hurry up. It would only be a matter of seconds before he finds out we're hacking his GPS system"