14 - the black pansy

As Dana strode into her office, she looked around at all her sub ordinates feeling a little put off. A couple of them were near the vending machine complaining the coffee was too strong, a handful of them were gathered around in tables, gossiping and the rest of them were flirting around. One glare from Dana and all of them went back to place. Dana sighed and strutted into her precinct feeling she'd become too lenient.

She opened the door and got in only to be stunned at the bizarre sight before her. Laurie and Ashley were seated so close that there was barely any gap between them. Their heads were leaning in for what she presumed would be a very long kiss.

Dana coughed loudly and the couple immediately broke apart, their cheeks blushing profusely. Deep down, Dana was happy Laurie had finally found a woman as he'd been single and miserable for too long. But, any sort of romance, within her office was out of bounds.

"So, Ashley, do you have any idea why I called you today?" she asked, pulling a chair.

"Well, I guess it would be something regarding a case?" she replied, still too embarrassed to meet her eyes.

"Partly yes. But to be honest, I called you in for a more personal reason. Did you receive any bizarre emails yesterday?"

Ashley's face was blank for a moment and then her eyes lit up with amusement. "As a matter of fact, yes. I received a strange e-mail from someone called midnight killer"

Laurie's eyes darted between the pair of them wondering what they were talking about. Dana, however, fired questions one after another. "So what did it contain?"

"A-a-link. How-why- is something wrong?"

"I'll tell you. What else was there?" Dana asked, looking a bit flustered herself.

"Nothing. Just that" replied Ashley.

"Did you click that link?" she queried again, her face crunched up in concentration.

"Yes. It was so weird. The screen turned blue followed by bizarre figures appearing out of nowhere and then the screen turned black. I pressed several keys but nothing worked"

"I'm sorry ladies but would someone please fill me in on the matter?" intervened Laurie.

"I just wanted to enquire Ashley about certain things before jumping to conclusions" clarified Dana. "It happens that I too received an e-mail from midnight killer yesterday"

Dana then went on to explain about the audio file, the electronically filtered voice, the bizarre message, the link and seeing Ashley on her screen.

"What?" bellowed Ashley. "You saw me?"

"Yes. It was strange, like our web cameras had been connected with each other once we clicked that link. If you hadn't been so perplexed in the first place, you would have seen me staring right back at you"

Ashley was goggling at her by now. "But-how-I don't understand" she said looking discomfit. "I thought it was some stupid prank or something. But, by the sound of what you're saying, it could be far more serious"

"Exactly. And the fact that the voice said the same words that was scrawled on Samantha's back doesn't exclude the fact that it could be her killer"

"Let me think" said Laurie, getting up and pacing around. "Did you try switching on your laptops after that?"

"No" said Ashley. "I was too grumpy after a long day at work. So, I just  crashed on my bed"

"And, you, Dana?"

"I tried but it wouldn't. So, I gave it to a nearby service centre"

Laurie pulled his brows together as he delved into deep thoughts. "It must be a self destructible code then"