Complicated

AN: flashback continued...

-

Monroe's pov

It's been eleven days, and every so often, I try to take a peek at Tony's new creation. He's been up many nights and I haven't been able to convince him to take a break. I had finished up some paperwork and had nothing better to do, so I decided to take a detour. I asked Jarvis to show me the cams in the garage which he obeyed. Looks like I missed a moment, but Tony's thrusters were holding him in mid-air. I giggled as he started to glide over his precious cars. He tried to move away, only causing him to scatter some papers that I hope I wouldn't have to organize later. The noises he made as he tried to gain control made me burst out into laughter. However, within mere seconds, he grew steady and set himself down back on the ground. Thought, he did stumble back a little. Impressive. 

Time Skip

"So he's making another suit?" Fury questions. I drove up to S.H.I.E.L.D.'s office since Tony was busy tinkering.

"Yeah. And from what I've seen, it's definitely an improved version. It's well built. Once it's finished-" 

"Once he's finished, you should have him come in and talk about you know what?"

I sigh realizing it's been over a week since Coulson told me to set up a meeting, "I know, sir, I've just been caught up with work and-"

"This is work."

"Yes, I know. And speaking of, this Obadiah guy seems very suspicious around Stark ever since he came back from Afghanistan. Nothing's happened yet, but I'm not gonna let history repeat itself."

"Don't blow your cover, Monroe."

"Don't plan on it. Just keeping an eye out."

Time Skip

I looked out the glass pane to find a flying man in a suit of armor. It was none other than Tony himself, finally testing it out in the real world. I watched from below and smiled. Once he flew toward the city, I resumed with figuring out how to tell Tony about the Avenger's Initiative. Fury is finally putting it into play. Nat, Tony and I would be the first members until he finds others suitable and qualified to join. The hardest part would be gaining his trust again once he finds out the truth about me. My thoughts were cut short when a sense of panic washed over me. Tony. I walked outside and tried to spot him anywhere. I took advantage of my enhanced sight and focused on anything flying over the city. Once I had spotted him, I noticed he wasn't flying at all. He was falling. There it was. His life flashing before my eyes. The regret of not telling him the truth sooner. These moments keep happening too often, and I'm always left helpless. All I could do was watch. I'm too far, and even if I was in the city it's not like I could fly. My eyes began to glow as he dropped closer to the building below. Screw it. I began building energy at the palms of my hands and waited for the right moment. I could try slowing him down; it's the least I could do from this distance. I held a proper stance and aimed my palms toward the city, but as if on cue, Tony managed to get the suit flying again. I sighed in relief, watching as Tony made his way back home. 

"Kill power." I hear him say as he drops down on the roof. I rush over to his work area to wait and greet him, but the armor breaks through the foundation of the mansion. Two floors up, and now he's here. I watch as Dum-E extinguishes Tony. I bit my bottom lip to hold my laughter and use this as an opportunity to head back up to my room. Maybe this isn't a good time. 

Tony's pov

I kick the roller on the floor in frustration. I swear I'm gonna sell that robot. I grab a bag of ice from the kitchen and hold it on my head. I grab the coffee cup Montez had left for me a few days ago, it definitely has gone bad. I stop on my tracks and look back at the box-shaped object it had been sitting on. A sticky note placed on top reads 'From Julia'. I flick it off and unwrap the gift. I pick up the case and notice my old arc reactor in the center. Surrounding it are engraved letters implying I'm not the stone-cold bastard everyone seems to think I am. Proof she calls it. I smile to myself at the thought of her. Gosh, that woman is amazing. I can't believe she's still here with me after all I've put her through. I have to tell her. She has to know how I feel about her. What she means to me. Before it's too late. Where is she anyway? I'm surprised she's not down here with all the commotion.