Cake

Hazel's POV

I sit on the kitchen counter, cook book in one hand. I flip back and forth between the pages I need.

I don't know why anyone would split a recipe between two pages, but it wasn't very smart.

I wipe my forehead with the side of my hand. I let out a huff as hair falls in my face. I try to blow it away, but flour just goes everywhere.

I look from the recipe to my bowl of batter. After pouring the necessary ingredients in, I stir the batter together.

The house is all quiet today.

Blue went back to bed a while ago and Master had work. Usually Master's father stays home with me, but today he had to go, leaving me alone.

I don't mind the quiet house though. It is nice to be alone for the first time in a while. Master's dad is nice, but it sometimes drives me insane knowing there is always someone around.

I bake in the peaceful quietness.

To be honest, I'm kind of nervous about what Master will think when he comes home.

Usually I just cook dinner, but today I am making a special treat. Cake.

I haven't ever had cake, but I am anxious to try. I never received permission to make cake, but I'm hoping it's alright.

Master has mentioned being on a tight budget, but surely we could spare some flour, eggs and sugar?

I already prepared dinner, so all I need to do is have one of them put my cake in the oven when they get home.

We don't have everything I need. I find some old vanilla and some barely usable baking powder. It will all have to do though.

I don't want to cook the cookies and realize they taste bad, so I try the mix, humming in pleasure at the taste.

From what I can remember, it kind of tastes like cookie batter. I've only had cookie batter once and it was when they taught us how to bake at the facility. We didn't make a big batch, so all of us had to share the little batter leftover, but it was good.

The batter is good, but I want more flavor. My eyes shift over the few spices and stuff that Master has. Peppermint.

I take the cap off and smell it, gagging at the heavy scent. I know only to use a drop or two. Peppermint is a very powerful flavor.

I mix it in and taste it, smiling in triumph when I get the desired taste.

The only dish that somewhat resembles the cake pan they describe in the directions, is an old pie tin.

It isn't ideal, but it will have to do.

I pour the batter into the pie dish just as head lights flash through the windows.

I smile, knowing that means Master and his dad are home. My smile falters though as I look around at the mess I made.

I know Master won't like the mess, but he won't mind me taking the liberty to bake a treat, right?

"Hazel! We're home," Master calls as he opens the door. I can hear him and his father stomping their feet on the door mat. "I'm not too sure if we left her home alone too soon," Master says chuckling.

"Stop it, Axel. I doubt she got herself into any trouble," Axel's father says.

"Hazel?" Master calls.

"I'm in the kitchen," I call.

"You better not be by the stove," Master warns me.

"I'm not," I promise, knowing how nervous I make him when I get anywhere near the stove or oven.