Cage

Axel's POV

I hate how my guilt has made me bow to her wishes. She was never strong willed and now she most certainly is, especially about her cage. I don't want to make it sound like I don't like her having an opinion, it's more about how she tries to tell me no.

I understand that she doesn't trust me and that her cage is safe and familiar to her, but her unhealthy attachment has made it clear it needs to go.

My dad was right, she's getting marks on her back from the metal biting into her all day and I'm sure he was right that it isn't good for her body to be so curled up all the time either.

I don't like fighting with her if I can call it that, but she needs to be reminded that she can't just whine her way into victory in every conversation we have.

If this was something that didn't affect her health, I may not have been as stern, but this is affecting her health and although I haven't been the best at attending to that in the past, I am gonna do my darnest to do what is truly best for her.

When I bring her the pancakes, she is still curled up in her cage. "Here, Doll." She takes her sweet time, reluctantly coming out of her cage.

I hand her the pancakes and she sits on the floor, taking a bite of her food and looking up at me with the biggest puppy dog eyes.

It's not going to work on me.

"We are taking the cage out after breakfast," I say, staying firm in my choice. She pouts melodramatically and I sit on the edge of my bed, making sure she eats. "We can set you up a little comfort area somewhere, Hazel. I don't mind you having your own spot, but the cage isn't good for you."

She finishes up in silence and I take her plate for her once she is done. When I come back to get her cage, she is sitting up on the foot of my bed, her blankets already removed from her cage.

I look it over for a minute, trying to figure out how to disassemble it. It takes me a moment, but after I find out, I collapse it fairly easily.

A whimper leaves Hazel's mouth, and I take the cage out into the garage, so she don't have to think about it anymore.

When I come back inside, she is still curled up on the bed. Her eyes drift up to mine and she slowly averts them, scooting away from me on the bed.

I walk over and start to pet her. She doesn't say or do anything and it makes me frown. Can't she just see I'm trying to be a good dominant for her?

"We aren't gonna take you anywhere, Hazel. You're safe here. You don't need to hide," I say softly. She looks up at me with uncertainty, but nods anyway. "Do you want me to show you where you can always find comfort?" I ask her and she pauses, but then nods, sitting up in interest. "Come here." I hold out my hand to her.

She takes it, thinking I'm going to pull her off the bed. Instead, I pull her to my chest. I have her wrap her legs around my chest and she slowly hooks her arms around my neck.

I hold her to me securely, gently laying back. "Isn't this nice?" She doesn't respond for a bit, still bitter about me taking away the cage. "Alright, I'll leave you alone."

I just am trying to do the right thing. Why is she making it so hard?

"No," she says softly. I pause, pulling her back to my chest when she protests. "Please don't put me down," she says quietly. I nod, holding her close.

She nuzzles into my neck and I pet her head. "I'm sorry, Hazel. I know I've upset you."

"You're just trying to be good to me," she says, starting to sniffle.