Chapter 3: The Horses and the Farmers

"How are we going to do this? Distraction or sneakiness?"

"You sound very excited, Aiyana," Fox said, a small smirk playing around his lips as the watched a farm, its run down stables the furthest away from the house as possible. To Aiyana, that seemed like bad construction planning but in this case, it served to their benefit. "Personally, I would rather not talk to the farmer."

They waited until darkness had settled, ignoring their hunger and the prickliness of the thorns that concealed them from passing souls, not that there were very many. Aiyana looked up to the stars and moon, which was a thin sliver, barely visible in the brightness of the stars around it. She suddenly became aware that Fox was watching her, his bright green eyes resembling a cat's. "Yes?"

He shook his head. "Nothing. I just noticed you seem to like the sky. You keep glancing up."

No one had ever noticed. Arkin only knew because she told him. "Perceptive. I do very much like the stars and the sky."

He smiled slightly and it surprised her how easily he smiled. Then, he nodded his head towards the farm. "I think we have waited long enough."

Aiyana climbed to her feet nimbly, disentangling herself from the thorny bush. Dressed in slenderising black clothes that enabled her full movement, Aiyana looked the part of assassin. Though it had been mentally taxing, she did sometimes miss her role in the Palace. It meant she knew more, accessed more and explored all of Nasta, Kildrosa, and cities just past the country boundary. Those were adventures that no other job could grant her. Not that the King would have ever let her leave. Her thoughts embedded a hand of fear into her heart. The King would try and kill her soon if she didn't escape Xera. She hoped he wouldn't notice her absence until it was too late for him.

She led the way to the stables, slipping under the fence. Fox followed her, leaping over the wooden poles like a hurdler. He landed silently and they picked their way through the fields that were obviously used for pasture. Every few seconds, Aiyana glanced at the house, checking that the farmer and his or her dogs had not awoken or sensed them. The lights remained off, even when they opened the creaking door into the stables. Luck was obviously on their side. Or the farmer didn't own a dog.

The stables were simple but spacious. It smelt strongly of horse dung, hay and horse fur, as one would have expected. Twelve doors, split into two halves so that the horses could stick their heads out, lined one side of the building. Opposite their owner, their saddles and bridles were hanging neatly, ready for use.

"Fox!" Aiyana suddenly whispered, "duck. Duck. Duck."

He didn't question her and the two of them pressed themselves against the wall under the glassless window. Aiyana raised a finger to her lips and risked a glance over the window sill. A gas lamp had been lit in the farm house. She could see the silhouette of a stocky man moving around through thin curtains. After a few minutes, the flickering light was blown out and the house was bathed in darkness once more.

"Let's move quickly."

"Good eye. I hadn't even noticed," Fox said. It had once been Aiyana's job to notice everything. She was glad that she was not out of practice. She took the compliment humbly with a small smile and approached the nearest horse.

It whickered gently at her touch. She ran her fingers over its jaw bone, enjoying the softness of the mare's hair, before reaching for the bridle. The horse patiently waited, letting her saddle it before being led into the field, its hooves clipping on the concrete floor. Aiyana and her new mare stood quietly as they waited for Fox. She tipped her head to the stars again when there was a loud thump.

Simultaneously, the lights of the farm house were switched on and Aiyana could hear the scratching claws of the dogs as they tried to desperately escape the house to attack their thieves. She ran into the stables to see Fox quickly tightening the girth on his horse.