'Why are you still up at this time?'

Their answer came quick. 'I was marking exams.'

'You're a teacher? What are you teaching?'

'Physics.'

Shinobu made a disgusted face. Ugh. How did they even become a teacher on that subject? She might be a natural science student, but physics-or physhits, she liked to call it-could rot in hell. Honestly, if time machine really did exist she would go back in time to kidnap Newton and lock him in warehouse. She always had to put an extra effort to gain just barely a good mark in the subject, while if she spent an equal time to study biology or chemistry, she would definitely ace it. It had been more tolerable now in her second year, thanks to her current teacher, but remembering what she had gone through in that subject during her first year brought back bad memories. Her teacher at that time was an absolute scumbag-he had the gall to lose her test paper and asked her to retake the test alone with him! Thankfully he had transferred to another school, because that teacher was definitely the definition of a creeper.

... Wait, her soulmate can't be that creeper, right?

A chill ran down her spine as she recalled that disgusting excuse of a teacher, but she remembered, as much as she hated that she did, that person had a sickeningly nice handwriting. On the contrary, this soulmate of hers did not have a particular good or bad handwriting-just alright; the type that when you put them in a two-hour exam, by the end of it the handwriting would be ineligible but still decipherable.

Speaking of exams, she's reminded that it's the final exam period, so she wrote, 'You must be busy since it's the exam period.' But as soon as she finished writing that down, realisation dawned upon her that she was interrupting their work with her pointless chatter. With haste, Shinobu added below her earlier sentence, 'Sorry to disrupt you. You can go back to your work,' and was ready to close the book.

But blue words appeared as she retracted the pen nib, slowly forming two sentences side by side: 'It's fine. You need to talk to someone, don't you.'

... Was it possible for someone's heart to skip a beat for someone they never met before? Because she swore her heart just did that.

However, when they asked, 'Do you like physics?' she was immediately convinced it was just an illusion made by her tired mind.

---

Even with that off-putting question, they managed to talk for more than one hour through letters, filling around ten pages in their journals. The topics were pretty much random things, ranging from their favourite food to movies they hated. There's even one page that was contributed to draw their favourite pokémon-theirs was Golduck while hers was Vivillon. She didn't really remember how they had even arrived at that topic, but she had fun laughing at their drawing.

(They literally just drew a circle, adding three spikes on the top, a duck's mouth inside the circle, and two dots for the eyes. 'Is that a Ditto?' she asked, to which they answered, 'I forgot how its eyes look like.'

'I'm going to sleep now,' she wrote as she yawned. Sparing a glance at Kanae, she breathed a sigh of relief, for she could look at her now without feeling as if she were hit by a ton of bricks right in the gut. 'Thank you for accompanying me. Sorry to imposing on you.'

Their reply came as fast as ever. 'It's alright. Try not to think too much. Your sister will be fine. Have a nice sleep.'

How odd it was, for her to find comfort in the words of someone whom she'd only been communicating through letters only, not to mention she had only known them for a little more than an hour. But that's just how it was, and now she was thoroughly convinced that 'soulmate' indeed existed.

With a smile, she closed the book after writing, 'You too. Good night.'

.
.
.
.

Giyuu capped his pen close and shook his hand as if he's air drying it-it felt stiff from writing too much on the journal. Glancing at the clock on his desk, he realised it was almost 2.30. Wow. He never knew he could enjoy conversing with someone he had never met before, but he had fun. Probably because they communicated in letters, he felt more comfortable in speaking his thoughts, or writing, in this case, even though he had messed up at the beginning when he had misread their words (that was such a stupid mistake, really). But above all, he's just relieved he could make them feel better-almost losing your family was a heavy and uncomfortable feeling he knew all too well.

After exercising his hand, he gathered the scattered exam papers and stacked them neatly beneath the black book before going to the bathroom to brush his teeth, failing to notice the similar handwriting on the paper at the top of the stack with the one he had been seeing for the past hour in his journal.

*

Again, this amazing Soulmate AU was made by azalettuce from tumblr!

http://azalettuce.tumblr.com