'Hi', she wrote. Such an awkard starter, but whatever. 'I'm sorry to disrupt you at this time, when I have neglected this journal for a year. But I really need to talk to someone right now. If you find this annoying, you can just ignore me. I just need to rant, that's all.'

As the ink seeped through the paper, regret hit her like a train and she slammed the book close. Man, she must've gone wacko from worrying about Kanae. Actually engaging in this journal writing with her soulmate just convinced her this whole fiasco was downright crazy. Also, why must it be a book?! If it were a messaging app she could delete the words or at least change them to make it sound less desperate. Now she had already sent it and there's no turning back.

I'll just cancel the whole thing, Shinobu sighed as she opened the cover once more, ready to write, 'Actually, nevermind'.

Unexpectedly, a new word had formed below her sentences in blue ink, handwriting was too big and too different from hers.

'Okay.'

... It's like sending an email to a teacher, she thought as she chuckled. Well, considering her entry, there's not really another word the other side could give to give her a pass to rant. Now that she thought about it, it's rude of her to laugh when they didn't tell her to piss off, although they didn't know of it.

'My sister was stabbed earlier,' she started to write. 'The doctors said she had already passed the critical stage.'

Shinobu bit her lower lip, hesitating to write her next thought. 'But I'm still afraid she would die,' she wanted to say. However, die was such a heavy word; she found her fear amplified just by saying it in her head. And she felt like if she wrote it down it would really happen, and her hand was frozen by that thought.

While she was hesitating, blue dots appeared below her words, slowly forming a word, then another, another, another, and another, until they formed a sentence.

'I'm sorry for your loss.'

Her eyes squinted in confusion, which quickly turned into an anger as she read their reply. What the hell. My sister is not dead yet, you idiot. Why are you jinxing it?

Just when she was ready to give this person a piece of her mind, the words were crossed out with one long single line, and soon another sentence appeared.

'Sorry. I didn't read the 'critical stage' part. I don't mean to jinx it.'

...

A snort. That was her first reaction, if you didn't count her being stunned a reaction.

'You're not very attentive, huh?' she asked, hand trembling from stifling her laughter. 'I was going to write an essay for you for being so rude.'

'I placed a paper on top of that part, so I didn't see it,' they wrote back. 'I didn't mean to. I had a similar experience, so I wouldn't say anything as insensible as that if I had read it correctly.'

Oh? The girl lifted her eyebrow, now intrigued by this stranger's story. She wanted to ask what happened, but it seemed intrusive-even though they were soulmates.

'Anyway,' they followed up, 'it's normal to worry. But maybe we should talk about something else.'

'Something else like what?'

'I don't know.'

Facepalming, Shinobu groaned in exasperation, although a smile was present on her face. What's with this person, really, she wondered, they seem like an utter airhead. Though messing with them sounds fun.

As she searched for a topic for them to talk about, something that's not personal, her eyes laid on the watch circling her wrist. Oh. She could talk about this.