"Spit it out, Rich."

Richie lets out an airy laugh, and Beverly can't lie. It was one of the prettiest sounds she's ever heard. "Thank you."

She smiles, despite being thoroughly confused. "About?"

"About everything. You saved him."

Beverly grinds her teeth. She does that a lot in weird or odd situations. "Uh?"

"Ben."

It's a simple name. A simple name that makes her break out into a smile. "What about him?"

Richie breaks down. Tears slip from his eyes and at this point he doesn't mind. It's not like he really cares if she sees or not. This is Beverly Marsh, after all. She's one of the most understanding people around.

"Ben came over this morning. He told me everything."

Every little detail is suddenly flowing back into Beverly's mind. "Oh?"

Richie nods. Another laugh escapes him. "He said he'd stop. He said he wanted to be better. That you opened his eyes. He's never said that before. I've tried, Bev. He's my best friend. But in all the years of our friendship I've never been able to work him like that. I've never been able to change his mind."

"I'm sorry, Richie."

"Sorry? Beverly I'm fucking happy. You saved him. Ben is going to be okay now. I know he his. I've never seen him so sure."

Beverly is a bit taken back by it all. She didn't know she'd changed the situation so much. The girl has never had to deal with anything like that. Eddie was always so chill. Sometimes he'd complain about his mom, but Eddie was overall a chipper guy. So she's never had to think of the right thing to say or to do. Beverly didn't even think what she was saying was good. She thought she was absolutely awful.

The fact that Ben wants to get better because of her is a lot. She feels relief, of course, but also a bit of pressure. Though soon the pressure will fade. This is Ben, after all, and Beverly would do anything for that boy.

"You mean all that?" She still can't believe what he's telling her.

"I wouldn't joke about this."

Beverly's entire heart swells.

Ben is going to be okay.

He's okay.

—————————

A chilling breeze wisps and strikes against Beverly's warm hair. Late October in Derry is a real bitch. Still, she carries on. Her skin still bumps, despite being surrounded by several layers of clothing. She's lucky she has a car. Though even if she didn't, she'd still have tread her way here.

Her hand leaves the warm pocket and reaches to the Hanscom household. She's about to knock before realizing the time. Then she realizes how weird it would be if his parents found her in his room this late at night without asking. She's already been titled a whore around these parts. Beverly doesn't want to make it worse, especially with Ben's parents.

Eventually she knocks and waits. She blows warm hair to keep her hands warm, but it's not doing much. Finally the door swings open, revealing a smiling woman with big cheeks and honey hair. She smiles before motioning her inside. They've only met twice or so, but Ben's mother warmed right up to the redhead. It probably helps that her son has been going on and on about how wonderful she is since middle school.

"Beverly, it's so nice to see you."

Her rosy cheeks smile wide. "I'm sorry it's so late, but I really wanted to see Ben for just a moment. If that'd be alright?"