twenty-seven | father ii

Start from the beginning

I bit my lip, wondering if I should answer that question. I didn't know why I was overthinking so much, especially since it was such a simple question. "Martha and Liam Lockhart."

"Ah, Sora's grandparents," Edward quickly responded.

I frowned. "How did you know?"

Edward slightly smiled. "Like I said, I can do my research too."

"So, are you going to tell me that I'm not allowed to stay with them now?"

Edward cocked his head to the side a little, eyebrows slightly frowning at me as he placed the menu down. "Well, do you know why Sora's parents booted him to California?"

He caught me there. "No."

"No offence, but I just don't trust Mr. Lockhart and-"

Bewildered, I scoffed. "Excuse me? Who are you to tell me who I can and can't trust?"

"Lucinda, I-"

"You appear in my life for like what-?" I pretended to think before continuing my sentence. "-five minutes? And you think you have the right to tell me who to trust?"

Edward laid a hand on the table, looking at me firm in the eyes and it hit me like a rock that he had done something like this to me before. I bit my lip and shut my lips tight as I witnessed him chuckling as he shook his head in amusement. "It still works on you, huh?"

I remained silent, unable to silence the loud voices inside my head, either telling me to walk away or embrace the man sitting before me.

"I have the right to my own belief," Edward said, keeping his eyes firmly on me as if watching my every move. "I believe that Sora Lockhart isn't trustworthy because he still hasn't told you why his parents booted him off to here. But that still doesn't mean that you have to follow what I believe. If you trust him then so be it. Just remember to ask yourself why hasn't he told you why he came to California."

I frowned at him, mouth dry as I casted a glance over my shoulder unconsciously. I cleared my throat and wondered that my father may be right about one thing. Why didn't Sora tell me why he was booted off to California?

We hadn't discussed that or touched on the topic at all so of course, he wouldn't have told me without me asking, right?

"Let's move on from this subject," my father said after I silently thought to myself and I couldn't help but agreed.

For the next hour and a half, my father talked about his adventures to rebuilding his empire and expanding it while recovering his name from what had happened. He then continued to tell me about how he would try to check up on me in person which resulted in my mother going crazy, scaring him off multiple times so his last resort was the internet.

"What about your childhood?" my father had questioned, giving me an exhausted look.

After that question, I blurted out everything I had done in my childhood and had explained that my childhood wasn't even a childhood. I didn't get to experience going to school for a good three or four years, I didn't get to have friends or cry about the little things. Instead, I had been the adult.

As I blurted out what it was like for me as a child, each word that left my mouth, the further my father's brows furrowed.

After I was done, my father silently sipped on his coffee then excused himself. He walked about ten feet away from me before pulling out his phone and talked to the person on the other line for a good three minutes before returning to me with a blank facade.

"I'm sorry," my father whispered as he picked up the knife before spreading butter on the toast.

I shrugged in response.

"Don't worry, I'll win," my father said confidently as he lifted his chin up and faced me with a brave face.

I raised a brow in confusion. "What?"

"I'll win the custody battle."

a/n: I hope you enjoyed this chapter and feel free to follow my instagram for updates and weird stuff!! x https://www.instagram.com/rosesariella/