Chapter 11: Hard Goodbyes

Start from the beginning

They direct us back to our seats and begin to call names. I was first.

"Jahturi Mulann... "

I get up and walk up the stairs grabbing my flowers and plaque, I shake hands with members of the Board of Education and head back to my seat. I can't stop myself from crying as Tez grabs her rose and plaque. She's really going to be leaving me, and I will miss her with everything inside of me. We all have to grow up, I know,  but I thought we'd grow up together. She takes her seat and hands me her rose.

"For you my ever so pleasant valedictorian." she jokes.

I laugh through the tears and hug her tight. It's going to suck leaving all of this behind. All of. Her being.. Behind. She hugs me tight and sits.

"We're really going different ways.. " I sigh.

"It's not going to be all that bad. We can videochat everyday and visit each other. "

I know it's a lie but I wanted so desperately to believe it. The happiest part of today was throwing out caps in the sky. Mine, was decorated with a picture of Tez and I working on a lab experiment,  bejeweled hearts and a phrase that said "I love our chemistry." Hers was equally punny and I loved it. We never officially got back together or talked about it but we'd ordered it in advance and I'm pleased about it.

Everyone collects their caps from under the confetti cover ground and make their way out the exits to their families. Angela and Jerry take pictures of Tez and I, alone and together. Hannah walks up to me and Tez and hugs us both.

"You did ittttt Tezzy and Turi!" she yells.

We laugh and our final pictures are all together as a family.  We go out to eat at an old fashioned diner and Tez and I sit next to each other. We've talked about telling them for a while now, but tonight was the night we chose.

"Umm.. Angela and Jerry. " we both call.

They look up at us from their menus and smile.

"Yea?" they ask.

Tez and I glance at each other, scared they'd be upset at us.

"Tez and I were together. " I say.

They laugh and look at us. "Oh we know. " Jerry informs us.

"Of course we knew sweetie. You guys were inseparable. " Angela giggles.

Tez sighs and relief and I do the same. We all order burgers except for Hannah. She gets a milkshake and chicken nuggets. We all eat laughing and conversing back an forth. Trying to forget what comes next.

-----------------------------------------------------------
My things are packed and loaded into the van. Tez came back to say goodbye to me. She stands in the doorway of the house and I stare back at her. The lump in my throat is painful and my heart aches for more time with her. She walks over to me, sighing as her thumb brushes over my cheek bone gently. My eyes fill with regret and sadness as I sob against her. She holds me and whispers.

"It's all gonna be okay.. We'll see each other again, I promise. " she assures me.

"What if you forget about me?" I ask. "What if someone else catches your attention?"

"Not possible. " She wipes my tears and kisses my lips softly.

Jerry clears his throat and we laugh. Hannah runs to me.

"Don't go Turi,  you can't go. " she says and I pick her up.

"I have to baby.. But I'll be back in no time,  I promise I will." I reassure her.