Chapter Seven: Unhuman Nature

Start from the beginning

    She turned to him. "There's nothing anyone can do."

    "That's not true. We'll find somebody, someone. There's always something."

    She stared at him for a minute. "Until there isn't." 

Suddenly Sam and Dean came into the room. "Come on. We're checking him out. This place can't help him." 

    They put his clothes on and half-carried him back to the car. On the way home, Jack looked at his sister. "Don't do that."

    She looked at him. "Don't do what?" She asked, almost defensively. 

    "Look at me like it's the last time you ever will."

    She looked away. 

    "I'm going to be fine."

    Monica looked down at her hands. "I'm not going to get my hopes up."

    "Fine. But just try to calm down a little. I'm not dead yet. And your...energy is coming off like a tornado."

    She looked at him out of the corner of her eye. "I'll try." 

                                                                                     ✴✴✴

Once home, Monica paced, waiting for Rowena. She'd never met the witch, but had heard good things. After an hour or so, she arrived.  Sam and Monica led her down the halls.  

    "I came as quick as I could," Rowena said. "How is he?"

    "Well, um..." Sam had failed to tell her it wasn't actually Dean that was sick. 

    "I brought the book of the damned," she continued, opening up her bag. Then she noticed Monica. "Who are you, sweetie?"

    "Jack's half-sister." 

    "Jack?"

    "Lucifer's son. A nephilim."

    Rowena gave a stiff nod and went back to her bag. 

    "Just how sick is Dean?'

    "Yeah, about that..."

    "What?"

    "It's my brother, not his," Monica cut in. "My brother is dying." 

    "Good bye." Rowena picked up her bag. 

    "Wait." Monica blocked her path. "You have to at least look at him. Give him a chance. He's not like our father. Neither am I, for that matter. Please."

    Rowena stared at her a moment. "You're Lucifer's daughter."

    Monica stepped closer. "Yes, I am. But that doesn't mean I'm like him. And Jack isn't either. Please, Rowena. I have never had a family my entire life and now I do. I have a brother. Only now that brother is dying and I only had him for two weeks. Please, I'm begging you. Just look at him." 

    Rowena stared at her for a minute, then sighed. "Fine. Where is he?"

"I'm right here." 

 Monica turned and saw her brother. She gave him a weak smile, that he returned. 

 "I know a lot of people have strong feelings about my father. But I'm trying hard not to be like him. Sam and Dean, they say such nice things about you."

    "They do?" Rowena asked. 

    "You saved all of us from apocalypse world."

    "Well. That's true."