Chapter Seven: Unhuman Nature

Start from the beginning

    "Jack Kline," Monica blurted before they could even struggle. The lady looked at her. "Kline?"

    "K-L-I-N-E. Kline." Monica's voice got irritated at the end.

    "Date of birth?"

    "Come on, is that important?" Dean asked. 

    "What did you say your relationship is to the patient?'

    "May eighteenth," Sam cut in. 

    "2000. 99. 2000," Dean finally decided on. 

    "Uh huh," the lady said. "Family medical history. Let's start with the father."

    Castiel could tell Monica was near passing out with worry and frustration. He just sucked in his breath and hoped she waited a few more minutes. 

    "Uh...he's dead," Dean said. 

    The woman clacked some keys. "Cause of death?"

    "He was stabbed through the heart and he exploded," Castiel said. The woman looked at him with Sam and Dean. 

    "OKay." Dean turned back to her. "We don't have time for this. He's sick, his name's Jack Kline, and his father exploded. There, do you got all the basics? Now what does he need to do to see a doctor?"

    Just then Jack fell to the floor. 

                                                                              ✴✴✴

Monica missed the worried conversation on the way to the emergency room. Her world was a blur. If it weren't for the fact that Castiel was still clutching her arm, she would have fallen over, too. 

    They closed the door. "Jack, we're right here," Dean called. 

    Then Monica's palms flashed for a second. She clasped her hands together to hide it. "He knows," she whispered. "He knows everything now." 

    Then she slumped to the floor. 

She awoke on a waiting room couch with Cass stroking her hair. Without opening her eyes, she did a quick scan of the people in the room. Their thoughts. 

    Through it, she gathered Jack was dying. 

    Total systematic failure. 

    Then she bolted up. "No," she breathed. 

    "Monica." Cass turned to look her in the eye. "Are you okay?"

    "Jack's dying," she whispered. 

    Sam and Dean walked over. "Yeah, he is," Dean said. "Isn't there something you can do about it? Anything at all?"
    She looked at him for a minute, as if lost in thought. 

   Sam stepped on his foot. "It's not her fault, Dean."

    "I'm sorry," she said. "I tried. I can't heal him because of what he is. I can heal anything except people like us. Angel human hybrids. And he's bonded to me, in a way. He's sort of like my equal, meaning he's immune to most of my power." 

    "Great," Dean muttered. 

    Monica looked at Cass. "Can I see him?"

    "Yeah," he said. They went to Jack. 

    "I had him for two weeks, Cass," she said, just like she had that morning. "Two weeks." 

    "He's not going to die."