Karma's Payment

The world is a dark and twisted place filled with filthy people. The innocent are hunted and fed on by the cruel and heartless fiends of society. Cruel people deserve to suffer the way they make others suffer...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Velvet! Wait up!" my dear friend Bree said as she sprinted over to me.

"What are you doing here, Bree?" I asked the tall brunette as her brown eyes sparkled with excitement.

"You weren't answering your phone so I came to the carnival since you're always at the carnival when it's in town!" Bree said as she countered my seriousness with her laid back and cheerful presence. I sighed as I thought of a way to escape the brunette long enough to complete my mission. I tucked my mask a big deeper into my cross body bag.

"I'll have to meet up with you later, Bree. I'm meeting my boyfriend for a second, but I can keep my ringer on and meet up with you later for our horror movie Monday, okay?" I said as I chuckled at her pout.

"Oh fine! You better pick up if I call!" Bree said as she sighed. I nodded and laughed before she walked off to some carnival game or something. I casually walked into the bathroom and got into a stall. Luckily, no one was in that bathroom at the time. I slipped on my ripped, red crop top and skimpy blue shorts as I pulled my hair into a messy pony-tail. I slipped on my rabbit mask which was white with red and blue accepts and detail. The eye holes were covered with black lace so that I could see out, but it was harder for others to see my eyes with the shadowing. Luckily, my mask would pass as normal at the carnival and I stepped out of the bathroom. I tapped my earpiece twice to turn it on.

"You ready, Chase?" I said quietly, careful that no one around me could hear me.

"Almost at the meeting point." Chase replied with his classic flirtatious tone. I watched my surroundings, staying alert for any issues when I noticed what we had come here for. A man dressed as a friendly clown was holding a little girl's hand as he led her behind one of the game booths.

"Chase, we don't have time. Our target has already lured a victim. I have to engage the target now!" I said as I jogged over to the game booth, hiding behind the corner. The clown was speaking to the girl, talking about something pretty in the distance.

"Be careful, Velvet... I can't lose you." Chase said, clearly worried about me (as usual).

"Trust me." I replied.

"Look! The angel is right over there!" I heard the clown say. I had to act now. I heard a knife being slowly unsheathed and I anger grew. I wasted no time, knowing this innocent life was on the line. I turned the corner as the clown raised his knife to stab the little girl. I sunk my dagger into the clowns side making him yell out which I muffled with my hand. He dropped his knife and I kicked him in the back, knocking him down. He cowered at my rabbit mask which was faintly stained with blood from other targets. I motioned for him to hush as I picked up the kitchen knife he was going to kill the innocent girl with. The girl was crying and in shock. I smirked under my mask as I giggled slightly.

"The rule of Karma..." I whispered before I used his own knife to slash his throat, an angry growl escaping my throat. I dropped the kitchen knife, my white gloves soaked in crimson liquid. I dipped my bloody glove in the pool of blood that had formed around him and drew a large "Y" on the wall above him. The symbol of karma had been placed and this target has been terminated. I realized the little girl hadn't run away and was cowering with her knees against her chest. Her crying was silent, most likely from fear. I check the disgusting man's pulse to make sure he was dead before putting my dagger in its holder and looking at the little girl. She looked so afraid of me and I didn't like that I had scared her. I didn't like that someone so innocent was afraid of me.

"I promise I won't hurt you, Love." I said as the girl trembled. I thought for a moment before taking my mask off slowly. "See? I'm just a person! Just like you, Love." The girl stuttered in shock at my surprisingly kind appearance.

"W-Why... I-I'm scared..." she stuttered. I crouched down to her level and smiled sweetly. I gave her a loving hug and she started to calm down.

"No need to be scared, Love. The bad man is gone now. I need you to promise me something in return though, Love." I said as I pulled away, police sirens in the distance growing closer.

"Okay! What is it??" the little girl asked me, smiling at me.

"No one can know who I am under the mask, okay? They can't even know I'm a girl or what my face looks like, Love. Do you promise not to tell?" I said as I extended my pinkie to her. She nodded and smiled sweetly, clearly still shaken up.

"I promise, Bunny Rabbit." she said as she locked pinkies with me. I smiled at the nickname she had given me, the sirens getting too close for comfort. I slipped on my mask, waving goodbye to the little love. I ran off into the forest, heading for where Chase and I had planned to meet up. Chase stood there waiting with his mask on, leaning against a large birch tree. I could tell he was smiling at my safe return even from behind the mask.