12

Alex and Kara sit down in the waiting area for hours as they watch doctors and patients come and go. Alex takes notice of her sister's nervous nail biting and her twitching leg as she stares at the clock, with her light blue ball gown still soaked in blood. James stopped by to check on Kara but didn't get much out of her. No one could. After much convincing, Sam and Alex manage to get Kara to go home, clean up, and spend some time with Maia as they stay behind and await for more updates.

When Kara arrives home, she finds Eliza making her comfort strawberry cheesecake and bouncing Maia on her hip. She gives Kara an empathic look as she watches her daughter quietly plant a long kiss on Maia's forehead and walks to the shower. She slips the dress, jewelry, and shoes off as she steps into the steaming shower. With the hot water burning her skin, she scrubs the dried blood off of her hands and arms as the tears begin to stream down her face. All the laughs, the memories and fights, come rushing back as she stares at the red water going down the drain.

Kara bears a faint buzzing noise and groans at the sound of it, wanting to sleep longer. Slightly moving Lena's head, she slides on her glasses and looks at the time, 8:29. She immediately jolts awake and runs towards the bathroom, getting ready for the day.

"Shit I'm so late oh my gosh, oh my gosh." Kara exclaims, waking Lena up.

"Well good morning to you too babe." Lena chuckles, sitting up.

"Lena can you do me the biggest favor and pack me a lunch? I have work in like 40 minutes."

"Will do."

Kara jumps into the shower and quickly begins to wash her hair before suddenly the shower curtain is pulled and reveals a undressed Lena.

"Lunch is packed but you forgot about breakfast." Lena smirks, joining her girlfriend in the shower.

"Babe I can't, I don't have the time today."

"But isn't breakfast the most important meal of the day?" Lena toys, raising her eyebrow. Kara swallows hard as she grabs Lena's neck and pulls her in for a long kiss. She's already late, what's the harm in adding on more time?

__

Kara turns off the water and grabs a towel, wrapping it around her body as she brushes out the knots in her hair. She slides on a MIT hoodie and a pair of leggings and walks out to join Eliza and the kids.

"Auntie Kara is Auntie Lena okay?" Ruby asks, hugging her.

"She will be sweetheart. Come on let's go see what Grandma Eliza made for dinner yeah?" Kara fake smiles, picking the child up and kissing her cheek. The both of them walk over to the dinner table and Kara gets the kids settled down while she goes and helps Eliza.

"Sam called. She said after dinner, you head straight to bed for a nap and in three hours the both of you will switch."

"I want to be there Eliza. I have to be."

"What you need to do is get some rest. You're exhausted love." Eliza hands her the plates of food and Kara walks them over to the table. She gets bibs on both kids and lets them eat away at their rice and veggies. After a very quiet dinner and Ruby doing most of the little talking, Eliza slides a cheesecake onto the table and Ruby's eyes go wide.

"I thought everyone could use a little pick me up." Eliza sympathetically smiles, cutting a slice. "Who wants one?"

"Me me meeeee!" Ruby beams, almost crawling onto the table.

"Babe come on! You're going to love it I promise." Kara beams, taking Lena's hand as they walk through the halls of the school.

"Kara you dragged me out of bed at 1:00 AM, I swear to god this better be good."

"It will be. Now get rid of the attitude, grumpy."

Kara takes hold of Lena's hand as the both of them walk into a bakery.

"Bonjour es-tu prêt pour nous?" Kara asks the chef.

"Bien sûr! tout pour mes meilleurs clients!" The chef smiles back. Kara leads Lena down at the table and lightly gasps at all the desserts on the table. Taking the off, Lena smiles at the insane variety of desserts and the happy lit face of her girlfriend as she eyes all the cakes. Lena looks in the dead center of the table and notices a familiar cake and smiles extra wide at the sight of it.

"Is that your Mom's strawberry cheesecake?"

"Yep! Took me four tries to get it but it's no where near as good as hers." Kara chuckles.

"And you booked out all of Noelle's for me?"

"Happy Birthday Babe. I love you."

"I love you so much more."

Kara looks over at Maia and finds the girl asleep with food all over her mouth. Chuckling, she lifts the baby out of her booster chair and wipes off the grains of rice on her face. Maia immediately cuddles into her mother's shoulder and Kara plants a quick kiss onto her daughter's cheek as she finishes up dinner.

"Okay Ruby, time for bed. Brush your teeth and I'll read you a story." Eliza informs, cleaning up the dishes. "Say goodnight to Auntie Kara and Maia."

"Goodnight Auntie Kara, I love you." Ruby beams, kissing Kara.

"Goodnight sweet girl. I love you too."

"Goodnight Maia."

Ruby skips her way to the bathroom and immediately starts brushing her teeth as Eliza finishes up cleaning the kitchen. Kara brings Maia into their room and holds her close as she watches the baby's heavy breathing as she slept. She runs the hand through Maia's little dark curls and thanks Rao for giving her this gift.

"What do you think our kids would look like?"

"Woah there is there something you want to tell me?" Lena chuckles, looking down at her girlfriend.

"No I was just thinking about it. I feel like they'd be super smart like you and have your black wavy hair and your green eyes."

"Yeah and they'd have your smile and your little crinkle and your radiating laughter and positivity."

"We'd make some pretty great kids." Kara laughs, cuddling closer.

"Yes we would. One day, we'll know for sure."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

Kara's phone suddenly goes off and she carefully reaches for it and reads the text.

Lena's out of surgery. She's stable. Sam will switch with you once you get here.

Hey guys! I felt bad about the last chapter and the wait & quality of it so I gathered my shit together and wrote you guys another one! Hope this one is better :) Thank you so much for staying with me and for being super patient more to come later. For those in the US, have an amazing thanksgiving and if not have an amazing day loll. Byeeee!