Everything went silent, then I could hear footsteps walking to the office door. The door slammed shut seconds later, and I finally let out the breath that I had been holding.

After a minute, the door to the bedroom opened. Father didn't speak, but I followed him back into the office anyway. "He's coming back, isn't he?" I broke the silence in a defeated whisper.

Father eyed me silently for awhile before closing the distance between us and placing his hands on my shoulders. "Cindy-"

"Isn't he?!" I burst out.

"Yes." Even though I had expected this anyway, having it confirmed made my blood run cold. There were too many implications. Cedric was in danger. Harry and I were in danger. Father would be in danger too.

As my mind reeled at the possibilities, Father spoke again. "Go get some rest. We'll worry about this tomorrow. Keep your mind shut. It's the only way that you can protect us all."

~~~~

I was awoken at the crack of dawn by Ginny the next day. She informed me in a tired tone that Cedric was waiting for me outside the common room. When I saw him, he looked like he had just run a marathon and won. "What's the good news?" I yawned.

"I figured out the clue!" This caught my attention immediately.

"What?"

"Come on! I'll show you." He waved the golden egg in the air. I followed Cedric down the corridor until we reached the prefects' bathroom.

My eyes widened. "What-"

"Don't worry, no one will be in here right now." He pulled on my hand and led me inside. Inside I saw a giant bathtub with at least thirty different taps, and a glass mermaid portrait against the wall.

I felt really awkward and unsure of what was going on, but I tried to stay calm. That was, until Cedric began to remove his shirt. "Woah, what are you doing?!" I squealed.

Cedric appeared confused for a moment, then his face went pale, then he began to laugh. I look at him in incredulity. "You have to hold the egg underwater to hear the clue. I just didn't want to get my clothes wet." Seeing my expression when he began to take his pants off, he reassured: "Don't worry, I'm wearing shorts."

He turned and began to fiddle with the taps, filling the tub with water. I sighed and began to remove my clothing as well, leaving on my tank top and shorts. After he had finished, he climbed into the tub and nodded for me to do the same.

He slid the egg under the water and opened it, ducking his head under as well. I followed suit and opened my eyes.

"Come seek us where our voices sound,
We cannot sing above the ground,
And while you're searching ponder this;
We've taken what you'll sorely miss,
An hour long you'll have to look,
And to recover what we took,
But past an hour, the prospect's black,
Too late, it's gone, it won't come back."

My eyes met Cedric's in realization as we both emerged from the water. I pushed the hair from my face. "So the task is underwater."

Cedric nodded. "I think there are merpeople in the lake."

"What will you have to do underwater though? Just find what they've took? Has anything of yours gone missing lately?"

Cedric shook his head. "That's what I can't figure out."

"Let me listen to it one more time." We both ducked under the water again. As Cedric moved to open the egg, I heard a giggle from above the water, causing me to leap out in shock.

I coughed and sputtered. "I thought you said there was no one else in here at this time." I scanned the room for the source of the sound.

"There isn't." Cedric coughed.

The giggle sounded again from above and I immediately raised my head. "Now that's not very nice, Cedric. I'm here you know." Moaning Myrtle floated a distance above our heads. I groaned quietly.

"What's she doing here?" I muttered almost inaudibly. "Doesn't she have her own toilet to haunt?"

Cedric flushed and responded quietly. "She's always in here when I come to take a bath. That's why I've been bathing in the regular bathrooms."

I felt my anger building. "Get out of here and stop spying on my boyfriend!"

Myrtle scoffed at me. "You are not a prefect. You're not supposed to be here either." Then she did something that infuriated me even more. "Oh Cedric, why are you wearing your clothes in the tub? You should take them off so they won't get wet." She winked flirtatiously.

Cedric looked extremely uncomfortable and I growled furiously. "Aguamenti!" A jet of water shot at Myrtle and she squealed, flying out of the room. Cedric sighed in relief as I fumed.

"Don't worry about her. I'm already in love with a beautiful girl with red hair, green eyes, and a feisty attitude. Most importantly, she's alive." I laughed.

Cedric began to get out of the tub and I followed suit. "So do you know how you're going to breathe under water?" I asked.

"I was thinking about the bubble-head charm."

"Have you tested it out yet?"

Cedric nodded. "Oh yeah, and Cindy? Could you let Harry know? I owe him one for the dragons."

"I will. This is brilliant, Ced. How did you figure it out?" I asked as I put my clothes back on.

"Oh, erm..." I look at him expectantly. "Someone hinted at it."

"Who?"

He hesitated. "Professor Moody."

My blood ran cold.

————————————————————————

Hi everyone,

Important announcement here. So after hearing the feedback from you all, it appears that the large majority wants to hear my original story first (remember when I asked if you'd prefer the lighter, happier alternate ending first or my original?), so that's what's going to happen. That being said, I must warn you all that it will get quite dark. Thank you for leaving your opinions.

Lots of love,
-Lily