Chapter 5

"Anyroad," said Paul, trying to ease the tension, "I don't think most of your suspects could've been the criminal."

Ringo, George, and Campbell stared at him. John was too busy messing with Campbell's perpetual motion machine to notice anything anyone said.

"Well, they were almost all fourteen-year-olds! A fourteen-year-old would've tried to strangle George with lingerie, not stab him," said Paul sensibly.

"I know what we should do!" said John, looking up from the perpetual motion machine with a wicked grin on his face. George and Ringo exchanged an uh-oh look as Campbell and Paul eyed John dubiously.

"What should we do?" asked Ringo with a sigh.

"We should just ban everyone in London from ice cream for a week!" exclaimed John. "That way, we're bound to punish the real criminal a little!"

"I don't think that's a good idea, John," said Paul.

John gasped. "Scoundrel! Have at thee, coward!" he yelped as he drew his comb from his back pocket. With their famous hairdos, every Beatle had an omnipresent comb.

"The name's Knave!" screamed Paul as he also drew out his comb. "I accept the challenge!"

The two began to fence around Campbell's office. John yelled out the name of every move he made: "Parry! Thrust! Owld Boot!"

Campbell looked momentarily stunned.