"But despite that you still let her go..." he stated.

Tom nodded again, "I had to do it. She's young and she needs to experience college life without being held back and I know that's what I would be doing to her if I gave us a chance."

"I'll tell you what Tom; I'm going to head back to the office but I want you to take the day off, but before I do I'm going to tell you something," Michael gestured for both of them to stand up and prepare to leave the busy place, "if this young woman can make you feel this low and this high I'd say you have found the one. Don't let her go because you think that you're doing her a favor, because you're not." 

"Thank you for the advice and this little talk. It feels nice to admit it out loud." Tom said and shook Michael's hand which quickly turned into a hug. 

"I'm happy that you shared, it shows how far you've come as a person," Michael stated but then whispered, "but you know I'm the wrong person to admit this to." 

---

Taking the day off wasn't such a bad idea after all. Tom made use of it in a way he'd never done it before; he actually relaxed. He took a long walk without caring where the destination would be, it was just him and his thoughts. He knew he had a lot of things to sort out and many of them had nothing to do with Aria Willows, but they were top priority. It had to start at home base with his parents; it was finally time to talk to them about their life as well as his own. He understood that what he had previously judged them for was wrong and he hadn't known that until Aria stepped into his life. What his parents were, that's not what settling looked like, but Tom was going to get to experience it first hand. He would be settling until he heard from Aria or decided to tell her the truth about his feelings; that he was head over heels in love with her. 

As he strolled into a park and impulsively took his shoes and socks off to let his feet get tickled by the tall grass. He smiled at the sensation with each step and eventually took a seat with the view of a pond. Tom would have never known this park was here but he got the feeling this would be his favorite new spot, after The Cafe of course. He knew he could't bare to return after Aria had left for college and he needed a new place that could bring him some tranquility and possible even happiness. 

Next to him lay his laptop bag containing the obvious along with a legal pad and a pen that Michael had given him. The thought of his supervisor made him smile because he knew he wasn't only that but also his friend - a friend who knew his biggest secret. It was a secret he couldn't keep between four eyes, no he needed to write it down in case he ever dared telling her the truth. So, Tom brought out the legal pad and put the tip of the pen on his lips while thinking of the right words to say. He wondered what she'd feel like if she ever read it or where they'd go from there, if she was still in love with him that was. 

Oh, how the mere thought of her with someone else had him tense with anger, but he had encouraged her to have the college experience and that included meeting someone. The yellow legal pad was instantly stained with a handful of tears but despite those Tom was determined to finish that letter. After the last word was written and he placed that period Tom stared at the finished product he couldn't keep from smiling. It was the most honest he's ever been and even if he'd never show it to her it felt good to have it written down, for the universe to know the truth. I hope she gets everything she deserves, but that there's still a little room for me, Tom thought, or prayed perhaps.

"Excuse me," his vision of the pond was suddenly blocked by a beautiful woman in a tight red dress, "is anyone sitting here?" She said with a smile.

"No, you're welcome to sit anywhere you'd like." Tom said and gestured to the wide open space, knowing she wanted his attention and not the parks.

She was attractive, reminded him a little of Molly his Tinder date, but despite this Tom felt nothing while seeing her. There was no spark and no immediate connection at the first sight of her or hearing her speak. No, Tom's head was only filled with one young woman and even if she found someone else Tom would always pine for her. It was in that moment that he decided that no matter the cost he had to find a way to tell Aria the truth. Michael was right; he wasn't doing her any favors and not himself either. His fear was to settle in life; why live your fear when you didn't have to? 

"Actually," Tom said and got up, "I have to go, I'm waiting for someone." He shared a quick smile and left her there.

She might wonder who he was waiting for and wouldn't know that the young woman he was referring to would make him wait for quite some time. But for Tom that was okay; in the mean time he'd drink coffee and try his best to bake his own biscuits. Anything to feel closer to her.

THE END.