Chapter Twenty-Three

Start from the beginning

He looked away momentarily, remembering but briefly. 

Elliad's mind was upon Dorai; he tried to project the man's tactics. Turning, he issued orders to the men behind him, "Alard, get me a quill and paper. Cole, bring me two soldiers who would like a bit of gold in return for a little adventure. Fetch two mounts. Hurry!"

Alard hurried to the tower office and brought the requested items, also a bottle of ink. Elliad moved to sit some distance from Jobyna, and scribbled thoughtfully.

Standing close to the captive, Alard stared, mesmerized, as the sunlight reflected copper glints from her hair; he studied the beauty of her face, utterly entranced as she held her hand to shade her emerald eyes from the sun.

The soldiers rode around from the stables and Elliad handed one of them the note. "Read it aloud!" Elliad commanded. He wanted to envisage Dorai's response when the crown prince received it.

The soldier read, "If these same two men do not ride back, within five minutes, to Baltic Castle, some of the precious prisoners' heads will follow them. Czar Kievik."

"Yes, I have little doubt that you'll be allowed to return here within minutes. Ride out a couple of miles, out of sight from here, say, even to the Proburg turnoff, and I believe you'll be apprehended. Give them the paper and I feel sure you'll be urged to return. Make sure you take note of the uniforms and get some idea of the numbers of troops out there."

The soldiers saluted and rode towards the open gate. A company followed on foot to monitor their progress. 

Elliad turned towards Jobyna who stared at the departing soldiers. She wished she could leave with them. The pretender asked, "This Konrad, the son of Prince Gustovas —when did you last see him, Jobyna?"

"At Kelsey Castle in Reideaux, well over a week ago," she answered, feeling thankful that Konrad had anticipated such questions.

"And where is he now?" Elliad asked.

"He's in Proburg... at least, that's what I think..." she hesitated.

"What do you know about Proburg, Jobyna?"

"Uncle Dorai told me the casualties are heavy and that Konrad is fighting for Landmari Castle."

"When did Dorai tell you that?"

"Just the other day."

"Did no one give you a message for the Czar of Chezkovia, Sparrow?" His eyes burned into hers, and she sensed he knew something was amiss.

"No. Uncle was very upset that I came. I'm sure he hoped you would release his Maia... and Luke. Where... how is Maia?"

He ignored her question, noting her hesitations and turned to Alard and Cole. "Check the whole place. I want soldiers to go around all the walls; just make sure no one is attempting some sort of entry. This Konrad, the crazy prince, climbs mountains I believe."

Moving back to Jobyna as the men walked away, he whipped out a jeweled dagger. She gasped, pulling away as he cut the sleeve off her dress, ripping it away from the shoulder.

Realizing what he was looking for, she cried, "It's on my other arm!" Burning heat from the sun, combined with the closeness of this unsavory man, made her feel sick. He promptly cut and tore off the other sleeve, examining the E he himself had branded there over a year ago.

"Rather nasty, isn't it? But it proves that you belong to me, doesn't it?"

Shrinking back from him, Jobyna wished fervently that she had never come. Realizing he had asked a question, she gave the first answer that entered her mind, "That's an E, and you are Czar Kievik."

"Yes, I am. And Czar Kievik will have you, Princess Jobyna, for the traitor Elliad is dead, is he not?" Taking his time, he kissed her hand, then the brand, before saying, "Czar Kievik will marry the Princess, Jobyna, and she will be called Czarina Jobyna."

Feeling more sickened than ever, she tried to free her hands, and a frightened expression clouded her face as he held her tight, drawing her closer to him. She turned her head sideways, still trying to pull back from him. 

Smirking at her, he spoke again and she felt his breath upon her cheek. "You see, Czar Kievik's son Kenrik is a traitor and works against my Czardom." His tone was deadly serious; it was as though he was confiding a secret: "Czar Kievik wishes to have sons, heirs, to keep his Czardom safe from those who have their greedy eyes on it." 

Distant sounds of horses' hooves broke the silence as horses entered the first gates. Dropping her hands, he swung around and stood up. 

"I've ridden a long way today, and I'm very thirsty," Jobyna said, still feeling faint. Perspiration ran from her forehead, half due to the heat and half caused by the torment she was going through. He's more insane than I realized, she thought.

Grasping her hand again, he kissed it. Beckoning two soldiers, he spoke to her again, "Can you find your way to the apartment you stayed in with Sleven and his wife?" He watched for her nod, "Your slave is there waiting with a change of clothes for you. I'll be along shortly."

Kissing her cheeks, he grinned. Standing, he released her hand and strode towards the gates through which the two soldiers were returning.