Chapter Twenty-Two

Start from the beginning

"Elliad was at the gate when the carriage left," Luke said, "he's waiting there. He's hoping to have both Jobyna and me in his grasp when she's brought in. Jobyna's quick action, yelling at the horses, slapping my horse, was the deciding factor when the soldiers jumped out. They'd been ordered to capture Jobyna first and recapture me only if possible. Elliad commanded that they were not to jeopardize the capture of the princess in any way..."

Standing, Dorai called to the waiting company, "Retract out of sight! Join the other quads. Keep the castle road blocked. Apprehend all persons who travel from the gates, but choose unseen vantage points."

Luke allowed his uncle to assist him on his horse, to ride together. "Where is the access road to the beach?" Dorai asked, "I want to see how Konrad and his men are progressing."

With a dozen or more soldiers, they headed down the road and took the path to the beach.

Jobyna had told Luke how she went riding every day along this shore, the exercise giving her strength and the fresh salt air filling her lungs with health.

Luke had never seen the sea before and the sight and smell of it made him feel somewhat refreshed. His uncle gave the horse free rein, and it galloped down the beach to the rocks at the other end.

Massive cliffs towered above and Luke drew a deep breath when he saw the ominous walls of the castle rising up like a monster from the rocky face.

Three hundred horses stood along the cliff base in the shade of an overhang, watched by men in the Proburg brown uniforms.

The men walked the horses in turn to a nearby creek, where the fresh water seeped through crevasses in the rock, forming a small pool before it flowed to the sea.

Prince Dorai noticed drawn swords as they approached, but when the guards saw the white tassels on their green uniforms, the aggressive stance became relaxed.

After brief introductions, and welcome recognition, the guards pointed to the rocks where the tide lapped persistently. Luke and Dorai set off around the base of the cliffs, climbing the rocks where necessary to avoid the waves.

~~~~~

Konrad was now short of time to complete his arrangements. He wanted his men in the castle before Elliad returned with the soldiers he would no doubt have had at the gates. They had hoped Elliad would go to the prison fortress days before the swap was to take place, and the plan would have been able to be completed without Jobyna being involved. 'Hindsight' was always said to be better than foresight and Konrad could now think of other ways he might have outwitted the pretender, but he admitted to himself that if he could get his men inside the castle now, without being seen, this was still the best plan.

Konrad surveyed the castle walls rising above him, pulling on the closest rope. He turned to look down the cliff face at the beach. His friend Vincenz perched precariously but relaxed beside him. Pitons had been driven in, all up and down the rock face with carabiners attached. 

Now, they were checking to make sure the ropes were secure. Noon had passed and the simmering sun scorched spitefully down upon them. Konrad and Vincenz rappelled rapidly to the ragged rocks below where the men waited with bated breath. 

It was then Konrad learned of Kenrik's presence. The czarevitch stood under an overhang, his red uniform and those of his men standing out like bright red lobsters on the sun-bleached beach.

"We have ropes right up to the windows on the second floor which is the royal suite. We'll fill the two top floors with our men, and move from there. Everyone has been briefed; the main object being to capture or kill Elliad without jeopardizing the lives of the hostages."

"You need to know, Konrad," Kenrik said, waiting until he had eye-contact, "we... we found... my father... his body..."

Interrupting, Konrad placed his hands on the czarevitch's shoulders, saying, "You have my deepest condolences, Kenrik. It deeply grieves me. But, we cannot delay, or that lunatic up there will claim more lives. Every second's delay works against us..." Konrad thought of his father, his mother, the family... Jobyna ...

"I'm coming up with you!" Kenrik's determined tone refused any opportunity of debate.

"I've briefed His Highness about the risks but he won't change his mind!" Moritz told Konrad, "I believe if I work with him, we can make it."

Konrad explained that the more experienced men were to climb first, then said to Kenrik, "You must go back to the guards at the horses and exchange your uniform for a brown one. The others in red uniforms must wait there. If someone does happen to look out the windows for any reason, the red will attract unwelcome attention. It's enough worry that the horses are in view if guards up there do a circuit of the walls!"

Luke, Dorai, Mattheus and the other Frencolians scrambled around the corner just as Konrad and Vincenz belted their weapons around their waists and placed rope coils cross-wise around their shoulders and chests. 

One glance at Luke, who had grass stains on his clothes and scratches on his face, made Konrad exclaim urgently, "That's it! We must go!" He spoke to the soldiers who would stay at the bottom of the cliff, "After Kenrik and Moritz, no one else is to ascend." 

Konrad gave a customary arm-clutch with Luke, drawing him into a brotherly hug, saying, "It's good to see you safe, Brother. You're not coming up!"

Bowing to Prince Dorai, he said, "As soon as we've something to report, we'll send someone down." His hands took the rope and he said, "We can't rescue anyone at the bottom of this cliff!"

"Elliad was at the gate when Luke was sent off," Dorai called at the climbing bodies. "With any luck, it should be a while before he returns into the castle."

Konrad and his men knew they could rely on their powers of physical endurance and judgment. The only competition was the ruggedness of the cliff face; it was a situation of inherent risk. The hovering presence of extreme danger needed to be respected, but due to Konrad's experience there was no challenge they felt unable to cope with, for he had gone rock-climbing at least once a week for the past four years. Those with practised expertise could handle the strategically placed ropes in safety.

Luke and Dorai watched Konrad and Vincenz in their display of coordination of control and rhythm. Two by two, the selected men followed the leaders up the cliff.

Kenrik and Moritz arrived back as the last men ascended the rocky face. High above them, Luke saw Konrad wave; he leaned out of the top-most castle window. Luke and Dorai waved back.

Moritz explained to Kenrik as they began climbing, that he must not step on the pitons, he must use his hands for balance, his feet for support. It was obvious to Luke that Kenrik's desire for revenge was urging him on, inch by inch up the steep face.

The czarevitch's feet faltered here and there but Moritz was beside him, showing him where to tread, taking his arm, guiding and steadying him when necessary.

Luke and Dorai settled down with Konrad's soldiers, to wait, knowing there was nothing else they could do. Luke knew he must pray. To his great surprise, his uncle suggested he pray out loud as he also wished to request the help of the Almighty, but had been unable to find the words to express himself.

This was the first time that Dorai had verbally acknowledged his need for Divine help, to his nephew.

"Yes," Luke said to his uncle, "God is able to help. All things will work together for our good." Luke could already see how God was using the trials for good, in the lives of many people.