Second Day...and There's Already a Fire

Will the fondness of childhood ever truly go away?

I'd think not.

I mean, my best memories are of my early days with Addy and us growing up together.

We were playing Ring-Around-the-Rosy together. We were at a local park, with miles of woods and wildflower fields and no end in sight. That place was our haven, and we would beg our parents—please, let us go play at the park! They'd give in, and we'd imagine our days away.

That was before people decided that the park was a great spot for apartment complexes and an eight-level garage.

But anyway, Ring-Around-the-Rosy.

"Ring around the rosy..." I watched us sing, spinning in circles and holding hands. The grass tickled our ankles as we were barefoot in our outdoor dresses (which were apparently a thing to our moms).

The world seemed to...fog over. The clarity of the scene was fading, and the colors were becoming whitewashed; the greens, so vivid, became white noise. Wh-what was happening? I felt...so...dizzy...

"Pockets full of posy..."

The world was spinning. We twirled in and out of focus, warping like a funhouse mirror.

"Ashes...ashes..."

The faint smell of smoke filled my nostrils. The woods, in the distance, were burning. We would be caught in the flame within minutes, possibly.

"We all fall down...!"

And we all fell down, except I fell through the grass and into black.

~

"UH...HUMAN?"

I groaned, turning over and blearily blinking at the hazy white-and-blue blob in front of me that I currently wasn't very sure about identity-wise but not really caring because I was too tired.

"What?" I grumbled.

"UM..." The loud blob scratched the back of its head with a light blue appendage. "...THERE'S A FIRE."

My eyelashes fluttered for a moment.

Processing...

Processing...

Ding!

"What?!" I yelled, leaping up in my pajama shorts and too-big t-shirt and dashing out of my room, mostly navigating by instinct down the stairs and to the kitchen (as my eyes were still in sleepy morning mode).

I expected a heat wave to daze me, then I'd look up and see a roaring flame engulfing my kitchen, wherein I'd have to run because it's going to burn my home down.

But my eyes were instead met by...Ink, was his name? (yes, because of the ink splodge on his cheek)...dropping a cover (that didn't previously exist before, I was pretty sure) over a pan, with Error supervising cautiously, and Fell snoring on a counter nearby.

I warily glanced at them, then at the blob that now looked like Blue, standing beside me dumbfounded.

"SO...THAT'S HOW YOU GET RID OF A KITCHEN FIRE?"

"yes, blue, that is how you stop a kitchen fire," Error deadpanned.

However, there was a secret, underlying warmth in his voice that I hadn't heard him use when addressing anyone yesterday (which consisted of everyone pretty much avoiding each other, if I'm being really honest).