04

Alexia’s POV

        “Mhm,” Colin hummed absentmindedly as I once again explained the problem to him. After what happened Thursday, he had been relentless in his pursuits to keep me as his tutor. 

        And it worked. 

        Part of the reason was because he claimed he wouldn’t stop pestering me until I agreed, and the other part was because I was genuinely curious to see what he’d do. 

        After his bold proclamation that he’d get me to agree to a date, it piqued my interest. I would never agree of course, but it’d be interesting to see what he’d do. 

        “Are you even paying attention?” I fumed, giving him a sharp look. 

        He had his head resting on his hand, propped up with his elbow. “Yup.” 

        I raised a brow. “Oh really? Then what did I just say?” 

        “You asked if I was paying attention.” 

        I thumped him on the forehead. “Before that you dope.” 

        “Oww,” he whined, rubbing at the spot with a pout. “You’re mean.” I had to admit, Colin looked cute with his bottom lip jutting out like that. Paired with his big blue eyes, he reminded me of a little blonde puppy. 

        “No, I’m trying to be productive. We only have,” I paused, letting my eyes linger up to the clock. “Fifteen more minutes before this free period is over, and didn’t you say that you had some sort of quiz coming up?” 

        At the mention of the quiz, he snapped out of whatever he was dealing with and he was suddenly alert. “Oh crap, I forgot about that! We do have a quiz tomorrow, and I.. well, I don’t get it.” He scratched the back of his head, eyes wandering around the room for a bit before coming back to me. A sign that he was embarrassed. 

        “Exactly. We should probably focus then,” I told him sternly, and he nodded. 

        I went over the problem again, explaining things slowly, making sure he was paying attention. His eyes were running over the problem as I went through it, nose adorably scrunched in confusion. I could see him working things out in his mind the more problems I showed him.

        “Oh, I get it now!” he exclaimed after I went over it. Taking a pencil, he started on the next problem, mumbling things as he solved it. “So you just need to rearrange this into E equals P(x) minus the solution to 4.963e-10 times seven. Then you just take the answer and… done!” Sliding the paper over to me, he grinned proudly. 

        I didn’t even need to look at the paper to know it was correct. I had been watching him as he did it, noting that he did everything the right way. 

        “Yup, good job Colin.” I gave him an appraising smile.

        He gave me a toothy smile, pearly whites shining. “Thanks!”

        We sat, staring at each other, waiting for someone to say something.

        The silence felt heavy,  and as I gazed into the sea of blue, I felt everyone else in the room melting away, Colin and I the only ones remaining. 

        “Alexia?” he murmured, eyes solely trained on me.

        “Yeah?” my voice was hushed, air growing thicker by the second.