17

Alexia’s POV

Tears were stinging my eyes, vision blurry. I could barely tell where I was going, making out the hazy shapes of the school doors as I ran blindly towards them. 

Those salty tears dripping from my eyes might have been what prevented me from seeing that there was a person standing right outside the doors I was running to. As much as I’d also like to blame the tears for not being able to tell who it was, I honestly can’t say I can. 

The person had the right height, the right colored hair, similar clothes as to what he would wear. 

Yet I still ran towards the door, water dribbling down my face, making me look like an absolute wreck. 

Was I really surprised when that person caught me on my way out, gripping me tightly as they swung me around into their chest? 

My momentum caused us to stumble for a second, but he managed to steady us, and he stroked my hair. 

“Lexi, what in the world happened? I came to pick you up from school after I decided to stay the rest of today, but you never came out. I waited for half an hour, but you weren’t answering your phone either. Now you’re running out of there like there was a madman chasing you.” 

Lee rocked me back and forth as I tried to stifle the bubbling sobs rising up. 

I shook my head, refusing to tell him. Then I realized how much of an idiot I must look like, crying and sniveling while Lee comforted me, and I struggled to get out of his grasp by pushing against his chest lightly. 

“I-I’ll be f-fine. C-Can you j-just take me h-home?” I requested, trying to stop the continuous flow of droplets slogging down and off my chin. 

There was absolutely no doubt in my mind what I must look like to him as his eyes wandered over me. 

I imagined puffy red eyes, hair in a tangled disarray, face tear-stained and a mouth that wouldn’t stop quivering. 

“Lexi, what happened?” Lee reiterated. 

Once again, I shook my head, and Lee began to look angry. 

“What happened?” Lee asked again, his tone darker now. He was beginning to look pissed, and it made me scared. I had never seen Lee this angry, and this was the first time I actually felt frightened just by being around him. 

“I-I can’t tell you,” I said quietly, before grabbing his hand and tugging him towards the parking lot. “Please, let’s just go home,” I begged, pulling at his arm. 

He forcefully yanked his arm out of my grasp, and I gasped. He took no notice however, just clenched his fists at his side. 

“No, Lexi. We’re not leaving until I find out what happened. Who did this to you?” 

“No o-one did this t-to me.” He saw right through my obvious lie, and only appeared to grow more livid by the second. 

He looked as if he was about to retort something, when he changed his mind and spoke in a low, almost deadly, tone. 

“Fine. If you won’t tell me, I’ll have to figure it out myself.” With that, he turned and strode into the school, angry footsteps bouncing off the walls. 

I panicked. 

“No no no no no,” I chanted, opening the door and watching as he walked away. “If he goes in and finds Colin or Ashley or anyone who had just witnessed that…” I don’t want to say my blood ran cold, but I could feel myself paling.