Rest the heart

Nathalie could barely remember what happened. She remembered Gabriel's strong arms holding her. She remembered a conversation with him in the car, 2 words circled in her mind over and over again: my Nathalie. She'd lost consciousness several times through the way home.

It was still early when Gabriel crossed the door frame of the mansion with Nathalie in his arms. In that precise moment, she was conscious, nevertheless, lights would bother her so her eyes were closed and his head was hidden in his neck. He walked towards Nathalie's bedroom; as she began to get sick, he asked her to move into the mansion permanently, to be able to look after her during her crisis.

As he slowly placed Nathalie on her bed, she opened her eyes and blinked a couple of times.

-I... I am sorry.

-No, Nathalie, I am sorry. I should have never accepted your help again; I should have never asked.

-I am fine, Gabriel. I am, and soon, when we get to fix the peacock miraculous, I'll be even better.

-For now, you need to rest – said Gabriel, covering her up. He stood up and was about to leave the room when he felt something pulling him.

-Gabriel... - whispered Nathalie, holding tightly Gabriel's hand in hers.

Gabriel understood. She didn't want to be alone. So, he took a step back and sat, again, next to her. Their fingers were intertwined, which gave Nathalie such and inexplainable warmth in her chest. Slowly her eyelids started becoming more and more heavy, and so, she let herself get carried away by dreams.

Gabriel woke up to the sound of his bedroom door closing. For a moment he thought it had been a dream, but just a second later he felt his sheets moving next to him. Little by little, a body was introducing itself in his bed, cuddling next to him, surprising and frightening him. However, in the uncertainty of darkness, he smelled a subtle berry aroma, he knew that scent like the back of his hand.

-Nathalie...

No answer. Yet, he heard a sob.

-Nathalie – he said with kindness – what is it?

He heard another sob, so Gabriel decided to extend his arm and gently pull his assistant towards him. She, in return, placed her right hand on his chest, and her left hand around his waist. Hiding her face in his neck. She'd cuddled next to him, her petite body adjusted perfectly to her boss's and without saying a word, she wept.

Gabriel slowly stroke her hair, comforting her, he knew perfectly why she cried. He didn't need the miraculous to feel all the stress accumulated in her, the pain in her chest, her sickness, sadness and despair for failing again. She was giving her everything, physically and emotionally, for his cause, and that deeply touched him.

Carefully, Gabriel laid a kiss on her forehead and patted her back.

-Shhh, easy now, everything will be alright.

Nathalie kept crying, so Gabriel realized it was a better idea to let her unburden.

-Take it all out, Nathalie. I am here for you.

She nailed her fingers in his chest and back. She was clinging to him as if he was her anchor to reality, she was crying inconsolably. She felt so small, useless and powerless. They'd failed, they'd been so close, and they'd failed again.

After a while, her crying stopped. She'd occasionally sob, but little by little her body and soul felt at ease.

-I am so sorry. I must leave, please excuse me.

Yet, Gabriel didn't let go of her, his arms still around her.

-Sir? – said Nathalie trying to let go of him.

-Stay – whispered Gabriel.

Nathalie didn't say anything, she knew this was wrong, she'd invaded his room and his bed. That was completely inappropriate, nevertheless, the way Gabriel had asked her to stay, almost as a prayer, convinced her otherwise.

Slowly she rested her head on his shoulder and crossed her arm around his waist, again.

-Rest, you need it – he whispered in her ear -Thank you. For everything, Nat.

Nathalie didn't reply, she just held tightly to him. Gabriel smiled. Nathalie's body started to relax as she fell asleep, leaving Gabriel alone with his thoughts.

He really felt better, maybe because she lay next to him, but he started to feel his own mind relaxing. Definitively, her presence, asleep next to him, exerted a relaxing power over him. In a few minutes, he fell asleep too.