5: Extended Hand

Prompto cannot believe it.

Everything that happened seems like a blur, as if he was inside a vehicle watching the land move past at impossible speeds. He isn't entirely sure he understands what happened. He lies there in his bed, eyes looking towards the dull ceiling with his brain power working hard to understand what he still can't seem to comprehend. It seems so sudden and yet also feels like the conclusion of something that was in the making. It's finally happened, after years and years of simply thinking and wishing for something like this.

A friend.

It's a strange occurrence. It's a dream that he never thought would come true. What's better about it is how amusing it all is. Prompto tried to be friends with Noctis during school and now Noctis is trying to be friends with Prompto. Prompto gladly accepts. There's no question about that.

However, Noctis is still the Prince. There are always going to be times when meeting up is difficult due to his royal duties and whatnot, which is perfectly fine. They don't need to spend every moment of every day with each other. Though Prompto always misses Noctis' presence when he disappears at the call of either Ignis, Gladio, or his father.

Prompto is yet to meet those three important people, and in all honesty he'd like to refrain from meeting the King, if at all possible. Prompto is sure the man is a stand up King, but being who he is, a petty commoner, making music as his living and performing at a dark murky pub, it doesn't exactly warrant the attention of the King. No matter how many times Noctis applauds his shows, it still seems all to surreal that the Prince of Lucis cares that much about his little show.

Prompto sighs and lays his head flat in his pillow. Unable to fall asleep due to his nervousness for the big day. It's coming up soon. Where his dream of becoming a professional singer might actually come true. Just the mere thought of it brings a stir of monster butterflies in his gut. Because it is his one chance to make it, a lot of pressure has piled on top of his fragile shoulders. Prompto is strong, he knows he is. But the strength he carries is the strength to lift weights. What he lacks is the ability to hold up his emotions. If Prompt fails to accomplish what he set out to do, every piece of him that's holding it together will dicintergrate along with Prompto's heart.

Prompto shudders as he gets a text, the small vibration startling him. Light fills his tiny bedroom when he reaches for his phone and presses the power button. At first he questioned who it'd be at this time of night, but of course it'd be the only person who would message him at all.

"What the hell is he doing up," Prompto says with a shake of his head. He clicks his tongue in 'typical' manner. But then again, Prompto is also awake and most likely isn't going to find sleep anytime soon.

'Hey, you still awake?' The text reads.

'Yeah, can't get to sleep >_<'

Prompto yawns as He waits for a response. He doesn't wait long to hear that little ding. He snorts as he reads the next text.

'Gladio forced me to go camping for "an outdoor experience." I'd be dead if he caught me on my phone.'

Noctis always did seem like the rebel Prince. From what Noctis has told him, the Prince always sneaks out to the citadel in order to have his freedom in the city. Which, from the horrifying description the raven gave the blonde, is as chaotic as a supermarket on the week before Christmas. Apparently there's a lot of screaming fans involved, which according to Prompto doesn't sound ideal. It made Prompto wonder why the Prince even bothered to leave, but Noctis assured that if he could make it, he would always turn up at the pub to see Prompto sing.