Chapter 13

MissCris: My poor Sam :(

Pic: Ben Allen

~Sam's POV~

As I pull out of the schools parking lot I can't shake off the feeling that Jonah was saying goodbye. But that's ridiculous, it's not like we're going anywhere. At least I'm not. I drive automatically home, as I stop at a red light I realise that for the last few days Jonah has been hiding something.

My mind drifts back to yesterday when we were on the cliff and I felt like Jonah wanted to tell me something but when I asked he refused to answer. Or rather he denied that there was something he needed to tell me. Yet, that feeling of unease I felt then hasn't gone away and after what he told me before I left it's only intensified.

I know that whatever it is, it can't be that bad. There's nothing in the world that would make me give up Jonah, nothing that could force me to. But apparently he believes that whatever he knows is so bad that he can't tell me.

A loud honk jerks me out of my thoughts and I look up to see the light has turned green. With a frustrated sigh I drive forward, I need to find out what Jonah knows or it's going to drive me mad. How can he not tell me what's bothering him after what he made me confess today?

Sighing I turn onto my street and see my uncle's car parked in front of my house. My mom's Sedan is parked in the driveway and I pull up behind it. Somehow I know that whatever Jonah was warning me about earlier has to do with my uncle. It's obvious that he didn't start getting for lack of a better word, weird until I mentioned that I was having dinner with uncle Ben.

Reaching to the back seat of my car I pull my duffel bag and backpack out and climb out. I'm walking to the front door when it opens. My uncle is standing there watching me. I stop and stare back, trying not to squirm under his intense stare.

"Hi." I say lamely.

Uncle Ben stares are me for a second longer and then smiles, "Hey, kiddo, where you been?"

"At practice, remember, you were there." I respond as I walk forward again, looking at him as if he's lost his mind.

My uncle moves back as I reach the door to allow me in, "I know, but practice ended about an hour ago" he answers.

"Oh, yeah, I stayed to talk to a friend." I lie as I throw my bags and keys on a sofa in the living room and walk to the kitchen.

"Really, what friend?" my uncle persists.

"Umm." I try to find the right thing to say, my mom looks up from her cooking as I enter the kitchen at the same time.

"Oh, was it Jonah?" she asks, happily.

I can feel all the blood draining from my face as I stare at her, "What?"

She looks at me and then frowns, "Sam, are you ok?"

"Sam?" I hear my uncle's voice from behind me, "Let's talk."

"It wasn't Jonah, ok!" I yell and turn on my heel, pushing past my uncle and ignoring my mother calling my name.

Grabbing my book bag from the sofa I bound up the stairs two at a time. When I reach my room I close my door, dropping my book bag next to it, and throw myself on my bed. Damn it! Why did I tell my mom I had spent the night at Jonah's the other night? Now she's going to assume I spend time outside of school with him, I do of course, but I don't want anyone to know that.

I let out a big breath as I realise that what Jonah said was true. It's not that I can't let anyone know, I won't. Why? Why am I so scared? It's not like I have to worry about my parents, I told my dad before he died and he was ok with it, I haven't told my mom but I don't think she would have a problem with it. So what's keeping me from telling the world that I'm in love with an incredible guy? Is it my social status? Am I really that conceited, that selfish?