Chapter 16. Part I. It's you, babe.

Start from the beginning

"It's you, babe. It's always been you, and I know it will always be you. Nothing will ever change that" she whispered onto my lips.

[End of flashback}

But it did. It changed. And it was all my fault. I had the urge to call her, to tell her how she'd been doing dealing with her father. I felt the need to hug her and calm her. I felt the need for her to need me. I still knew I could do nothing, though. That was Peter's duty now. That didn't mean I didn't care about how she felt, but I couldn't talk to her since she discovered I stole her folder. I couldn't do it, so I decided to send someone to do it.

"Harry? You know if Maddie's alright?"

"I don't know, you know I'd tell you if I did, but Leigh didn't give me much detail. She was in a rush"

"Can you go and ask her?"

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me. Harry, I need to know how she's doing"

"Call her then"

"I can't. She doesn't want anything to do with me"

"Go and see her if you care that much. I won't go for you"

"Oh, thank you for being such a good friend" I said ironically.

I got out of my house and got in the car, driving straight to the place where I felt the most secure in. I took my phone out of my pocket.

Maddie's POV

"I think I can't stand him being here anymore" I admited while picking up a bottle from the floor.

"Why don't you tell him to leave?" Leigh asked.

"I just can't. He's my dad"

"He promised no to drink and that he'd try to find a job. He's done none of them"

I sighed and said nothing while putting some bottles in the bin. The house was a disaster: dirty clothes all over the floor, broken bottles in the living room... It was all too much, but I couldn't do anything else. I was desperate and my anxiety was increasing everyday. Peter hardly ever talked and the wedding preparations were going worse everyday. I felt trapped in that house, trapped inside my own home.

"I have to give him a chance" I finally said.

"And Peter?"

"Pete's been acting like a stranger. He spends almost all day in the office. I don't know what to do"

"Confront both of them. I don't want you suffering this way"

"I know but it ain't easy"

"You've got to try, Maddie. Do it for you" I nodded "I've got to go to work. Call me if you need anything, alright? I'll pass by as soon as I can" she said hugging me.

"I don't know what I'd do without you, Leigh. Thank you"

"It's okay, love. Just try to relax, everything will eventually be okay"

I nodded again and closed the door once she left. I sat on the sofa and sighed. I was truly tired of everything. I wanted to be free, I wanted to stop feeling other people's weight on my shoulders. Suddenly the bell rang.

"Hi Maddie!"

"Francesca? What are you doing here?"

"I was in the neighbourhood and decided to visit you, just to ask how you are, you know. How's the wedding going?"

"Oh God. Don't even get me started on the wedding"

"Why? What happened?"

I let her in, she sat on the sofa next to me. Truth is we had been texting since we went wedding dress shopping together. It's not like we were suddenly besties, but we got along really well.