Chapter 5. This feels like the old times.

"There is something beautiful about the past, and about the way it haunts us. The way we pass through moments like walking through doors. The way how we shut some out and the way we welcome some to stay. Our memories are ghosts and they will always remind us of all the things we no longer have"

r.m.drake

That morning I was woken up by the doorbell. I turned around determined to stay in bed, but it rang again, so I had to get up and open the door. I saw Francesca there.

"You're back..." I said.

"Sorry I woke you up. I'm just here to pick my stuff up"

I let her in and went to the kitchen to have a coffee. I was still confused about what happened the previous night. It didn't even feel real. A few minutes later, while I was still having breakfast, she came into the kitchen.

"Sorry about last night, but I still think it's the best decision I could've ever made" she apologised.

"I know you're right. You always are" I smiled.

She smiled too, and came closer to hug me.

"Take care, Niall"

"You too. I'll call you soon"

"Alright"

We said our goodbyes and she left. I stood there alone staring at my coffee without really knowing what to think. It hurt. It hurt letting her go that way. But I guess I knew neither of us would be happy if we carried on with our relationship. In that moment, Harry showed up just in his underwear.

"Where is Francesca? Have you finally broken up?" he joked.

"Truth is, yeah we have"

"What? Are you serious?"

"Yep"

"What happened?"

"Let's say last night was confusing"

"Wow, I've been waiting for this moment for two years, and now I feel bad about it. Are you okay, mate?"

"I guess I am. It was meant to happen sooner or later"

"Niall, I just can't believe this. Are you sure you're fine?"

"Yes, don't worry, buddy. I'll be fine eventually. Moreover, we can live together for some more time now!" I said showing some fake enthusiasm.

"In that case, I'll invite you to lunch"

Maddie's POV:

"I have to admit the party was quite fun" I said.

"See? I told you"

"I had so much fun"

"Isn't Peter coming with us?"

"Nope, he's having so much work to do lately"

"Okay. Nate has just left the office and he's meeting us for lunch"

"What about Alan? Where's he?"

"No idea. There are two possibilities: he either got to flirt with Harry or he was so drunk last night that he couldn't get up this morning"

"I think it's going to be the second one" I laughed "I'll go and see him later or tomorrow"

"I'd go with you, but I have to choose the menu for the wedding"

"Oh my God, I just can't wait to see you in your wedding dress! Do you know how much time I've been waiting for this?"

"Since you moved in with Nate and I. How many times have you said that to me during the last two years?" Leigh said rolling her eyes.