15. Washington and Dad.

"I love it! Sounds great!" I exclaimed through the microphone that communicated my desk with the recording booth.

Rachel, the girl who we were working with, smiled and got out of the booth.

"Do you really like that?" she asked.

"Sure. The song sounds pretty good, and the fact that you wrote it makes it even better"

"Thank you so much. But I have to go now, I'm pretty late already for college. See you tomorrow then?"

"Of course, we'll keep working on a couple of songs. Bye!"

"Goodbye Maddie!"

Rachel took her stuff and got out of the studio. We'd been working with her for a couple of weeks, and I was fascinated by her talent. She was so young, but so mature at the same time. I turned around and looked at Coop, the owner of the studio and the guy who had hired me years ago.

"You were right about this girl, uh?" he said

"I know. You know I'm always right"

"How did you find her?"

"I saw her performing at the bar where I used to sing at"

"Really? You know I found you there, right?"

"Sure. Still don't know what you were doing there, though. It's not a very known place, and it's far for your house"

"A friend recommended it to me. That's it"

"Who?" I asked.

"No one really. Stop asking questions now, we've got loads of work to do, Mads"

"Oh, c'mon Coop, you've never told me the story of how you found me. And you've got to admit it wasn't really common for me to find a job without even searching for one"

"You're too curious, love"

"I only want to know if I know that friend of yours who told you to come to the bar that night"

"You don't even know him, so it's a waste of time"

"You'll have to tell me one day. I won't forgive you if you don't"

I sighed and he laughed. Truth is I never got to know how they decided to hire me. One day I woke up and got a letter in the mail with a job offer. I visited the studio and met Coop there. His idea was pretty simple: he wanted to work with new artists who did what they did for their love for music, not for the money. And I guess that's the reason why I had stayed there since then. He really had the same vision of music I did. Peter didn't really understand all of that, he was a bussiness man so for him, music was just another industry. We didn't agree but I understood his point of view.

Suddenly, someone knocked on the door. I turned around and saw his head leaning out of the door. He came in, I got up from my chair and hugged him tightly.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" I asked.

"Don't you like these kind of surprises?"

"Sure, I was just thinking about you" I laughed. "I just didn't expect seeing you here today"

"I wanted to pick you up so he could have lunch together. If you're not very busy, of course"

"Actually I am, we were just going to start recording another song..."

"No, Maddie, don't worry. You can go with Peter, I'll finish everything today" Coop said.

"Coop, I don't want to leave you alone with all this stuff. We've just started with Rachel..."