"I love you River." she said giving River a tight squeeze before letting her go. "Now you need to hurry or you will be late."

"Love you too mom!" River yelled as she ran out the door pulling on the amazing hoodie as she went. River grabbed her rusty bike and chain lock.

She didn't have a helmet that would be unnecessary money to spend. Even a two dollar helmet could buy her lunch at school instead of something that would just catch her brains if she crashed.

River pedaled hard when she reached the damn steep hill she had to go up every morning. It was torture but it was so fun to ride down in the afternoon.

When River cleared the hill she rode her bike down a short cut she always took but this time River nearly choked.

It was the same ally she had gone down the night before. The one River had almost been gang banged in.

River gagged on the vomit that came up her throat and she parked her bike and dry heaved.

River hadn't eaten since yesterday morning which was normal but still not fun to barf up.

When she was done and her throat ached but she got back on her bike anyway. By the time she got to school the bell had ready rung.

River tied her hair in a bun at the base of her skull and flipped the hood up to cover her face.

River hurried to lock her bike up and ran inside. She put her stuff on the counter as the security guard waved her through the metal detector.

He never really checked the bags. If you put something at the bottom under gym clothes he would never know, which is what River had done with her gun.

When the security guard gave her back her bag she thanked him and rushed down the hall to her class. She entered her class with her head low letting the hood cover her face and slipped to the back of corner of the room where her assigned seat was.

"Miss McKaren thank you for finally showing up." Mr. Apollo her teacher said. She nodded and pulled out her ratty binder she had since 6th grade. "Do the drill and then pull out your homework."

River nodded and did as she was asked. He passed her homework forward and nearly froze when she glanced across the classroom and remembered that Darius was in her class most of them actually.

He hadn't seen her but River still slumped in her seat and quickly did her drill. The teacher collected them then started class.

"Now that everyone is here," he pointy looked at River; she ducked her head more when everyone turned to look at her, even Darius.

When the teacher started to speak again Darius didn't look away as the rest of the class did. He kept his dark gaze on her even from across the classroom with a confused look on his handsome face.

River hid her head so he couldn't see her.