Azriel

When I woke up the presence was gone. I was in my bed again, the room now very crowded. My two friends were sitting at my bed, their brows crinkled in worry. Both of them were still wearing their fighting leathers. Behind them Cassian was leaning against the door, a grim look on his face, next to him, a rigid, dangerous female cleaning his nails. His arms crossed over his chest the High Lord of the Night Court stood in reach of his mate. On a stool next to the dresser sat my brother.

But I wasn't looking at any of them, my gaze was fixed on the male gazing out the window with a solemn expression. He had short, black hair, hazel brown eyes, and his strands were the deepest black I had ever seen. They were farther out in the room as any of the others, it looked as if he could become one with the shadow at will. He was the most handsome male I had seen in my life. But still I wasn't looking at that, my gaze was looking at something deeper. 

I reached out one hand as if pleading. His eyes slid to mine and all sound stopped. Everything around us lost its right to exist and just stopped. It felt as if some empty part of me I had never known was suddenly filled with quiet and shadow. Soothing me as if singing a lullaby. 

Then the world came back, with a boom in my ears that was louder than any explosion.

When he spoke every part of me listened, his voice deep and soothing an ache in my heart I had never minded before: "You burned yourself out."

My hand was still reaching for him as if he was the only thing saving me from the ravaging river that was reality. He blinked, his eyes infinitely soft, then he took my hand.

Some part of me knew it wasn't enough, but I said it anyway: "Thank you."

He nodded, he seemed to know.

I couldn't let go of his hand, it was as if this was my lifeline.

But my eyes fell onto my brother, he looked confused, hurt, but something softened in him when he looked at me.

"I want him out" my voice was calm and even though I was almost whispering could be heard clearly.

All eyes fell onto my brother.

"Meira, I'm-" he began.

"Now." My voice was as hard as stone.

"No, you know I didn't want-" he tried again.

I looked at my saviors, whose eyes hadn't left mine: "Please."

His face was impassive, but in his eyes were more emotions than most Illyrians would ever feel, then he nodded again and stood up, squeezing my hand before finally letting go. Some part of me felt as if there was still something left of him with me.

He was bigger than my brother, his eyes now very much promising the Illyrian brand of violence, he gripped my brother at his leathers and flung him at the door, like a wet bag. 

I blinked. He had missed Cassian by inches, the female hadn't even looked up.

The long-haired male pursed his lips, winked at me and said: "Oops."

Then Cassian, quite literally, threw my brother, who was still trying to compose himself, out the door. After he leaned back at the door as if nothing had happened.

"I'll go after him" the shadowed male looked at me as if checking if I was okay with that.

I smiled at him, tentatively, but still.

Cassian looked at Rhys then declared: "And I'll make sure Az doesn't kill anyone."

With a last look at me, the male Cassian had called Az vanished out the door, together with the cold female went with them. She hadn't spoken a word and from that, it was safe to assume that I had just met Nesta. It felt as if the world was suddenly a bit brighter, but not in a good way.