Enemy

Harry couldn't leave for his much awaited vacation in Africa.

He didn't want to.

The prince sat quietly on one of the chairs inside Alexandra's room staring at her sleeping form on the bed. After she lost her consciousness, Alexandra was quickly taken to her room; washed by the maids and promptly checked by the doctor. By the time visitors were allowed, the sun was already setting.

King Arthur was quietly talking with the doctor just beside Alexandra's bed.

"Thank you, doctor." the king said shaking the hands of the doctor who bowed his head before leaving the room.

For a few seconds, King Arthur stood staring at the peaceful yet tired face of his daughter before his eyes travelled at the IV tube hooked on his daughter's hand. The fear he felt from that morning etched on his heart. The fear of losing his only daughter the same way he lost his first wife was too close to home. It brought back memories that he had long buried in his mind.

Someone is trying to kill his daughter.

He couldn't bear the thought of losing Alex. In his mind, he would rather lose the crown than lose Alexandra.

With a deep breath, he looked away from his daughter and turned to look at the ginger prince sitting quietly on one of the couches Alex had on her room. "She'll be fine. She was just shocked." The king told the worried Harry as he walked towards him. The prince only nodded back and the king understood as it had been long obvious that the prince liked Alexandra more than he realized a few months back.

Picking up one of the many stray books just beside the couch, Arthur smiled. "She never wants to stop learning." he quipped trying to lighten the mood so that his worries would be lessened as well. "After she finishes a book, she'll just find something else to read about. She wouldn't care if it's in French or Spanish or German- she would read it."

"What do you plan on doing?" Harry blurted out suddenly making Arthur look at him apprehensively for a moment before giving out a sigh. "Someone tried to-"

"-I know." Arthur nodded before sitting next to Harry and looking at the still unconscious form of his daughter. "I'm not letting this pass." he said firmly. "Not again. Not her."

"She's not safe here." Harry said looking at the king. "You have an enemy here and you know it."

Arthur remained quiet.

When Tatiana, Alexandra's mother, was assassinated, he had spent a year trying to find the people responsible for it. He had exhausted all of the resources he had. However, with no suspect at hand, the case went to a standstill. The case went cold. An enemy never crossed his mind. Before, Arthur thought that the people who are seeking for a republic country were responsible for his wife's death. "An enemy?" he repeated the word and it tasted foreign in his tongue. He had never considered it nor does he know anyone that can be his enemy.

But it made sense.

If it was the republicans responsible, they would have killed him first instead. Not his lovely wife. Certainly it makes sense that Alexandra was going to be on the hit list but Tatiana?

The thought made his brain spin.

"What made you think of an enemy, Harry?" Arthur asked; his eyes not straying from his still unconscious daughter as anger flowed through his veins. Anger at not realizing the possibility that someone is trying to kill off his family without any motive.

And Harry was caught off guard by the question. Even though he knew that he initiated it, he did not know how to put his thoughts into words that won't anger the king. "When Tatiana died ten years ago, it didn't made sense." he started off trying to find the right words. "She no longer couldn't produce another heir after Alex. It didn't made sense that she was killed."

Arthur had often been told that Harry was daft compared to his older brother William. But at that moment, Arthur realized that the prince was not. Yes, he had made rash and emotional decisions in his life but Harry certainly knows what to think of certain situations and it made sense. The childish prince can be rational and Arthur couldn't believe that he hadn't thought of it sooner.

And if that was the case, who could be the mastermind of everything? And what was their motive?

Their silence was cut short by Alexandra suddenly waking with a loud gasp as she shot up on her bed. Her eyes was frantic and her brain still obviously muddled by the dream she had. Both Arthur and Harry stood from their spots cautiously watching the princess' next move. "Thomas." she breathed out suddenly removing the needle on her hand.

"Alex-" Arthur quickly made his way towards his daughter who's trying to stand from her bed. "Alex, stop."

"No- Thomas- he- he was shot and-" Alex's voice was frantic that every word sounded like a stutter. "He blocked me and then he was bleeding- and I-"

"Shh." the king comforted trying to pull the now standing Alex into a hug.

"-No!" she screeched swatting his arms away as her breaths started to get heavy. "Get away from me!" she screamed; her hands gripping on her hair. "And then mom-"

"-Alex it's alright. You're home."

"-no! No! Stay away!" she screeched and then the tears started flowing as heavy sobs came out of her pale lips. "Get away from me!" she screamed again when her father tried to touch her making her stumble back- knocking down the tray of medicine along with her to the floor.

"Alex.." Arthur said in worry when she held her now bleeding hand that was cut from one of the bottles of medicine up to her face. The king quickly dropped to his knees and hugged his daughter who started struggling on his arms. "Alex-"

"NO! DON'T TOUCH ME!"

"Harry! Call for someone!"

And Harry, who was shocked from watching the scene before him, quickly ran out of the room. "Call the doctor. Now." he told the guard standing by the door who nodded and quickly ran. When he came back into the room, Alex was still screaming for her father to let her go- some of the blood from her hand now staining her father's white shirt. It didn't take long for a hoard of medical personnel come into the room.

"NO! MOM! MOM! NO PLEASE!"

It was a tough scene to watch as Harry stood by the door while Alex was held down on her bed still struggling as much as she could- the doctor from a while ago preparing the sedative he was going to inject on the princess just beside the bed. King Arthur is by the window with his hand on his mouth as he watched his daughter slowly, once again, lose her own consciousness.

It took almost half an hour before most of the nurses left and the mess was cleaned.

"It's normal." the doctor told the king and Harry. "She was traumatized.. It's still fresh in her mind and it might be repeating over and over in her head." he continued. "And with the same thing happening to her mother, everything is let's say connected in her brain as of the moment.."

"But is she-" King Arthur gulped at the thought that this happening might have pushed his daughter's mental state over the edge.

The doctor, clearly catching on to what the king was trying to ask, shook his head. "She will be fine. Just let her body rest and her mind will as well. She will be fine by tomorrow morning- I highly doubt she'll remember what happened a while ago." he stated looking at the blood stains on the King's shirt.

After the doctor was dismissed, King Arthur also excused himself momentarily to change his clothes but Harry insisted on him to take a rest and he will watch over Alexandra for the night. The king reluctantly agreed after he realized that he had matters to talk to about his chief of staff about his realizations that night.

After he left, Harry dragged one of the couches beside Alexandra's bed and sat on it. For a while, he stared at the face of the woman in front of him. The deranged look completely gone and was replaced by the peacefulness he was so used of.

"You'll be fine." he whispered before softly taking her uninjured hand and kissing it. "You will be fine." he said again as if she can hear his words. "I promise."