Crumble

Today is the day.

It was his last day in Syldonia and Harry is planning on laying out his feelings towards Alexandra. He's ready, he felt and thought as he stood in front of the floor length mirror inside his bedroom in Grove Castle while Tony, his personal assistant whom he had forgotten, continually told him the details of his flight tomorrow morning that would take him to Africa so he can have his vacation.

Today, to end the Jubilee, a parade is to be held. Yes. It is a Syldonian culture to push through with the parade with or without snow which is why Harry is bundled up carefully yet stylishly.

"And the Duchess of Sussex wants you to call her back." Tony suddenly said quickly earning Harry's attention. "She says that she wants to talk."

Harry wondered what it is that they would need talk about when Meghan had already spread everything on the press- and apparently, a tell all book written by her is also supposed to come out by summer of next year. Talk? In that particular moment, Harry deemed it completely unnecessary to talk to her. However, he nodded towards Tony. "I'll do it when I'm not busy." he lied because he knew that he will not call her.

Alexandra did not attend the festivities that morning much to Harry's dismay however, it was promised that she will be at the parade. When he went downstairs and to the foyer where all the rest of the Beaumonts are, he saw Alexandra by one corner giving her RPO, Thomas, a friendly hug and a smile. In just a few words from Thomas, a smile had graced the princess' sullen look.

"Oh Harry. You're with me." King Arthur suddenly appeared by the stairs and Harry gave him a small smile before walking towards him. "Are you ready?" Arthur asked the prince who nodded.

"Yeah, yeah." he answered politely.

One by one, the royals are loaded into their respective floats. Alexandra, along with the Prime Minister, is behind the King and Harry's. "You were supposed to be with Alex but it was heavily suggested by the parliament that I start showing the close relationship between Alex and Bernard.. To represent the stability between the government and monarchy, so to speak." Arthur explained as he fixed his scarf around his neck. "It's not long now until she has to step up to the plate."

And Harry turned to him, "But you're still young.." he said knowing full well that King Arthur is only in his early 60s.

"Being a monarch takes a lifetime to learn, Harry. She'll need all the training she can."

Harry turned his head around to take a peek at Alexandra who's sitting at the float behind theirs with a faraway look on her face- clearly still thinking of the issue a day ago. Thomas stood beside her loyally. "Say, why is it that you allowed Homer to chase after Alex?" he asked curiously and the king sent him a glance. "I mean, he hurt her."

"He did." King Arthur agreed with a nod. "But time will come and Alex will need to learn to let bygones be bygones. To forgive but never forget."

And the parade started.

Internally, Harry thought of how much of a trooper Alex is for even pushing herself to attend the parade. Even though her eyes are not as puffy as it was early that morning, her eyes are still vacant and sad. The show must go on- as what monarchs would say sometimes.

"Alex! Alex!"

Harry had to smile while King Arthur had to laugh at one of the banners a group of guys are holding up in the city. PRINCESS ALEXANDRA MARRY ME! was written in bold red and is being held up by a guy in his twenties who is obviously smitten by the princess. Both he and King Arthur quickly looked back towards Alex and the Prime Minister- the latter is pointing at the sign obviously amused and Alexandra's face is beet red but still waved and smiled at the guy.

But the festivity suddenly turned into chaos.

In a split second, a loud gunshot resonated above all the cheers of the people around them promptly followed by screams. There was no time to react as Harry found himself pushed towards the floor of the float, Michael, his RPO assuring him that he's fine.

"Alex! Where's Alexandra!" He can hear the muffled shouts of King Arthur right beside him and Harry knew that he was not the one shot. "Check Alex dear God!"

And Harry struggled to get up; he wanted to see her. He wanted to know that she was alright. Was it her? His mind raced and he can feel his heart run along with his brain. "Let me go!" he shouted at Michael who's having troubles trying to keep him on the ground.

The screams of the crowd around them are deafening. "The princess! The princess!" one woman shouted frantically and it was followed by a fearful shout from King Arthur who's clearly struggling beside him. "Let me go!" he shouted clearly frantic.

"Move the float! Quick! Quick!" One of the guards holding the king down shouted and Harry felt their vehicle run at a sudden speed even Michael who he is in a struggle with almost lost balance. "The castle! Quickly!"

The screams slowly faded and was replaced with loud gasps of shock from people still unaware of what transpired a few kilometers away. "We're nearly there." Harry heard Michael assure him but all he could say is the name Alex.. Same as what the father beside him is crying out.

All the weight of RPO's on top of them disappeared once they had entered the gates of Grove Castle; everything was moving quick yet it felt slow at the same time. They were quickly escorted inside and the doors were suddenly shut. The guards are communicating and asking for updates on their radios; the king is being comforted by his chief of staff. Harry, on the other hand, stood on the corner. He never believed in God but at that precise moment, he was praying with all his might that Alex was unharmed.

"Your Majesty." he head of the RPO's suddenly spoke up and Harry quickly found his feet leading up to them. "The princess is unharmed but the gunman escaped."

A huge sigh of relief escaped the king's lips and Harry's heart soared at the news. "Where is she?" Harry found himself asking before he can stop himself; however, before his question is answered, the doors of the palace opened and Alex was led in.

It was a pitiful scene.

Alexandra was held up by two RPO's. Although she was not crying, the fear in her eyes is clearly visible. Her whole body shook and it was then that Harry noticed the blood stains all over her peach coat- and her hands. "Alex." King Arthur breathed out in relief and in pity at the sight of his child as he made his way towards her. "Alex.."

"Papa.." she choked out as she was enveloped into the arms of her father. "Papa." and Harry can see her blood stained hands shake harder on her sides.

"Shh." King Arthur pulled away, pushing back the hair away from his daughter's face.

"Thomas-" was all Alexandra can say before she lost her own consciousness.