Chapter 10: One who can't control emotions, and one who can't show them

Start from the beginning

"My lord, the Kestrel butler informed us a while ago that Sir Jonas Kestrel was murdered recently..." Peter informed Zane in a bleak tone.

"What?! How could that happen?! Mr Kestrel was a righteous man-" Zane exclaimed, panicking.

"Astrid isn't hurt, right? Did anyone else get hurt?" Lucus added, trying to remain calm.

"Fortunately not, sir. Though I'm quite sure Miss Astrid is not in a good state at the moment." Luna replied.

"Doesn't the Kestrel family have the best security possible? How did it come to this?!" Zane continued, nervousness hitting him minute by minute.

"We still don't know, Lord. Everything happened in just a haste they couldn't do anything, or so they told us." Peter explained.

"I'll find out more about this myself. But right now, I need to be with Astrid. God knows what condition she must be in..." Lucus declared, grabbing his coat quickly.

"I'll accompany you, Lucus. And don't worry, you know Astrid's ready strong." Zane assured, smiling lightly.

The two hopped into Zane's car and sped through the road, restlessly. Luckily the traffic was not as heavy as it usually would be, and therefore it was probably not going to take them too long to get to Astrid's.

A nervous silence surrounded them as the tension grew and grew. Both their hearts thumped louder ever before. Neither of them were present beside Astrid's at such a crucial moment. This made them feel tremendously guilty.

"Astrid just lost her dear father, her closest companion, her only family...what must she be going through? I hope she doesn't end up doing something irrational." Lucus broke the silence as he stared at his twidling thumbs.

"That's why we need to get to her as fast as possible. I'm already full of guilt for not being there for her." Zane gritted his teeth as his grip of the steering tightened.

" Zane gritted his teeth as his grip of the steering tightened

"Gosh, this is absolutely horrible..." The two mumbled to themselves.

Just as they arrived bright blue and red colours illuminated throughout the estate, determining that the police were already there. Multiple professionally dressed Englishmen run around here and there worriedly, yelling at each other. This sudden annihilation left them all unorganized and bewildered.

They tried to approach Zane and Lucus for inquiries, only to simply get ignored by them as they bolted up the stairs to Astrid's room without further ado.

Zane slowly opened the door to find Astrid, who had her legs hugged close to her chest and back pressed against the wall. They could already tell she wasn't in a stable state. Her hair was frizzy, and was strangely pale due to the freezing temperature of the room.

Lucus rushed to Astrid, before Zane could. He didn't hesitate to hold Astrid in his arms, letting her know that he was there. That was when Astrid realised her friends came for her, and she could feel more relieved. Astrid buried her face into Lucus' shoulder, and screamed her heart out. Her angsty screams echoed through the entire hall, almost shaking the very ground.