"Huh?"

"You have that look in your eyes again." I looked down at my food, ashamed.

Vera grabbed my hand. "Marley, hey." I looked up. "It's fine. It's just...it's homecoming this week and there are parties literally every day. This is the third one today."

"Then go without me!" I suggested. "I don't want to hold you back."

"Hey, no, it was my decision in the first place to skip parties with you." She shrugged. "Besides, it's not as much fun without you."

"You obviously want to go to one. You wouldn't have brought it up if you don't." I squeezed her hand. "You can go. Don't worry about me. I'll just do my homework, instead." I scrunched my nose in distaste.

"That doesn't sound fun."

"Um, yeah, I know, but I don't have any other choice."

She frowned. "Can we sneak you out? We can go get some hot outfits at the mall after school, and I'll bring a bag with makeup and we can get dressed secretly and do our makeup, then I'll sneak you out."

I sighed. "You know it's not that easy. My windows are sealed shut. And now I can't go anywhere after school, remember?."

"God, are they holding you hostage or some shit? You never told me the part about the windows."

"You never asked."

She narrowed her eyes, before sighing in defeat. "Fine, we won't sneak you out. I'll just do homework too or something." I opened my mouth to argue, but she beat me to it. "Nope, no buts or excuses. I'm not going to a party without you."

"But what about the hot boys?" I asked seriously.

She shrugged. "There's always football games."

At that point, I knew there was no point in arguing. We've had that argument a million times, so I knew it wouldn't get me anywhere. Vera was extremely stubborn when it came to the subject of going to parties without me.

"Fine," I said, admitting defeat. I picked up my sandwich, taking a bite out of the dry bread. I cringed at the bland taste of my food, so I put it down and chugged some water.

Vera and I chatted about random things over the lunch period, before the bell rang, signaling the end of lunch. I collected my stuff and shoved it into my backpack.

"See you in Bio," Vera said as she swang her backpack onto her shoulders.

"Yeah, see ya." We grinned at each other before we went separate ways. I weaved through the halls, heading straight for my psychology classroom, which just so happened to be on the other side of the building from lunch.

When I got there, I went to my normal seat in the middle of the room. I glanced at the seat next to me to make sure it was still empty. It was, so I put my backpack onto the seat like I usually did.

Just three days after school had started, the guy that sat next to me had gotten suspended for somehow figuring out how to change the wallpapers of the computers into the computer lab to...let's just say some things people do not want to see on their screen.

I tried to ignore the clump of girls talking about the parties they were going to attend and the boys they wanted to hook up with as I opened my backpack and pulled out my notebook and a pencil.

I was tapping my pencil on my desk as I watched the clock on the wall, eager to get the class started so I could get closer to the finish of school. 

A voice sounded from above me, making me jump and look up.