twenty five

3 years later.

Clicking sounds filled the entirety of the bland office as an onslaught of workers rushed through the doors into their small office spaces.

Everyone here was almost a carbon copy of the person before them. All they did was work, go home, sleep, repeat. There wasn't any glory in working here.

Nothing about this was me. I once had dreams. My purpose was to fill in the role of a carbon copy in this shitty office.

Now? I was a number in the system. My attire was the same as everyone else's before me. Everything about me had changed.

Years ago I was a dreamer. I believed I could do so much with my life. Things like going on road trips with Rena across the country and going to concerts every week. Now there are obstacles in place of me doing either of those.

For one, I don't have enough time for a concert. Now all my time is in the office from 8 am to 9 pm. My hours were special due to my being a secretary and my boss needing me the entire day.

As for road-tripping with Rena- that wouldn't happen for a long time. If I was lucky she would get out of rehab early next year in order for it to even be possible.

After Rena's motorcycle accident she made it out fine with little scarring. Drake, on the other hand, didn't make it.

My only brother figure out there was gone and to make matters worse he essentially took Rena with him.

She discovered alcohol as a coping method and once she began thinking about drugs she decided it best to get help before her life was taken too.

Luckily, she was making peace in her life after everything. Now she is allowed a weekly call to me and I couldn't be happier. Well... I could be happier. But for now, this is the best I've been in years.

Over time negative occurrences in my life have been like stacking dominoes. They added up but it took only one to trigger the rest of my life all to hell.

That one never left my thoughts. It's like he clawed at my heart no matter how far he was from me. No matter how close I was to getting over him I still felt the way his fingertips rolled over my skin, the way he looked at me, even the way he smelled like mint and vanilla.

At first, I really thought my feelings for him were just conjured up through him making me all hot and flustered all the time. I found out quickly that he was more than that. There was so much more to him than that.

The thing that sucked the most was that his chapter was finished without a happy ending.

"Mrs Cruise is everything okay?" My boss stood crisp in his suit and a hand brushing through his hair in front of me. My eyes widened as I realized I'd zoned out for a good minute while searching for Mr. Lane's files.

"I'm so sorry sir. You will get everything as quick as possible." I muttered apologetically.

His eyes strayed to the hem of my skirt unwaveringly. The lack of shame this man had disgusted me sometimes. Surprisingly, he wasn't fucking the entire staff of the place but boy did the staff want to fuck him. Nobody else had noticed Mr. Lane gawking at me so I assumed it was all in my head. Though, it still managed to leave me in discomfort.

"Actually, that's not what I came to ask about." Mr. Lane's eyes finally found mine as he leaned against the wall across from me managing to look like a model.

"Then what would that be, sir?"

"There's a cafe down the road that I wanted to try out and it would be nice if you could join me tonight." His arms folded in front of him as his eyes zeroed in on me almost daring me to say no.