Minette flung her arms around her niece, sobbing out all the reasons Jobyna should not be going to Reideaux, holding her as though it was to be the last time she would ever embrace her.

The aunt calmed a little when she saw the large company of mounted soldiers lining up, ready to escort Jobyna. Sabin, who arrived in the courtyard with an extra company, announced, "I'm riding to Reideaux with you, Princess."

Minette grasped Sabin's hand, and cried, "You must not allow Jobyna to go further than Reideaux. Promise me that you will make her stay in King Konrad's castle."

Frowning, Sabin said, "I can only promise, Princess Minette, that I will do my best for our king, our princesses and for our kingdom..."

Jobyna said to Minette, "Kiss the children for me, please, and remind them to pray. God will bring Maia and Luke back, I'm sure He will."

"I will pray ceaselessly for you, Jobyna. I will pray that you will never have to face that monster! I will pray that you come back with Luke... and my Maia... oh, how can I bear this... alone..."

Jobyna embraced her aunt, whispering, "You're not alone, Aunt Minette. Have faith. God is greater than Elliad. God will save us all. Think of Elliad as being like Goliath, and remember what happened to him!"

She had to untangle herself from Minette's hold. She perceived that her aunt was at breaking point. Minette dropped to sit on a wooden bench and hid her face in her hands, sobbing without restraint.

"You... don't know... how alone... I am... now..." she managed.

Feeling torn, but still determined, Jobyna stepped over to kiss her aunt again before following Ruskin to where a young groom waited, holding Brownlea's reins.

Ruskin took both of Jobyna's hands, kissing them before embracing her. With tears in his eyes, he said, "God is with you, dear Princess."

The back portcullis was raised and the moat bridge lowered especially for the group and they cantered away. Jobyna was excited to be moving closer to Luke, also she felt confident that Konrad and her uncle would work out a rescue plan. Whatever tomorrow held, she must do all she could for Frencolia, to have both Luke and Maia returned safely.

At the Border Castle north of Leroy, the reality of the departure from Frencolia struck Jobyna for the first time. As they moved through the gates, she remembered her tearful traverse from the eastern border, well over a year ago now.

It was dark and late when they arrived at Gerold Castle to change horses, to partake of food and fluids and to rest a little.

Jobyna patted Brownlea affectionately. "I'll be back for you, Brownlea, you'll see. It's best for you to stay here, it truly is." She laid her cheek against his nose and would have stayed longer, but Sabin urged, "It's late Princess Jobyna and you need to rest so we can leave at first light, which is less than two hours away."

~~~~~

Prince Dorai was awakened before dawn. Riders had continued on through the night and had arrived at Kelsey Castle with the letter from Kings Castle in Frencberg. The pouch was addressed to Prince Dorai, but King Konrad had also been called and he accompanied Dorai to the office. The Prince read Ruskin's letter first, then, with trembling hands, passed it to Konrad, and opened the letter from Elliad.

The seal to the Kingdom of Frencolia was unwrapped from the black velvet cloth and Prince Dorai was speechless to see it. The symbol of power in Frencolia, worn by kings for over two hundred years was now a defaced, battered golden disc, having been dismembered by the murderous deceiver. To Prince Dorai, it was as if something very sacred had been violated.

Konrad read Ruskin's letter, informing them that Princess Jobyna was traveling to Reideaux and would not be many hours behind this communiqué, then he sat watching Prince Dorai's face, noting the set jaw and the unspilled tears of anger and sorrow.

Dorai, placing the seal on the desk, handed Elliad's letter to Konrad. The new king of Reideaux rose on completion of reading the letter from the 'czar' and said, "I take your leave, Prince Dorai. I will ride out and meet the princess."

"Now?"

"The ride and the fresh air will give me time to think of ideas and plans about what could be done to rescue Luke without having to involve Princess Jobyna."

~~~~~

Konrad spied the Frencolian party before Jobyna saw him and his soldiers. When she did see him, several hundred yards in the distance, it was to behold a blue hat being hurled in the air. Leaving it to land where it would, Konrad galloped his horse at breath-taking speed ahead of his men. He knew it was her; the only brown uniform among the green and gold. Sabin wore his simple servant's clothes, and his face broke into a wide smile when he saw the Reideaux king, wearing a blue soldier's uniform, drawing nearer.

Konrad reined his horse to halt. With the front shoulder of the animal level with Jobyna's mount, he reached across for her hand. Kissing it affectionately he smiled his stunning smile.

"I'm so glad to see you here, Princess."

"And I'm so very happy to see you, King Konrad."

They sat with their hands entwined.

Konrad's smile faded as Jobyna said, "I'm devastated... by the news... Elliad has Luke." She bowed her head then looked back up at Konrad, "My brother carried a special letter to you, Your Majesty. I accepted your offer... I... I said much more..." She blushed as her green eyes locked into the blueness of his gaze. "My letter is in our enemy's hands and he will know how I feel about you; about our betrothal."

Their eyes linked and their mutual silence said more than words could express. Thoughts of Elliad's demands hung like a black thundercloud ready to burst.

The Frencolian soldiers were dismissed to return to Frencolia where they would remain to take care of developments there. Sabin continued on to Kelsey Castle, riding beside Princess Jobyna whose face showed how troubled she was.

King Konrad rode on the other side of Jobyna, his face pensive. He had no idea what could be done to prevent the dread storm that loomed ahead of them all.

Prince Dorai met the group as they rode into the courtyard at Kelsey Castle. He helped Jobyna from the horse and hugged her close, kissing her forehead. Unspoken words lingered in their minds as they entered the castle foyer where Kenrik descended the stairs, hurrying to apprehend Konrad.

"There are new problems. Serious. Unbelievable! We must talk." Kenrik told Konrad, bowing briefly to Jobyna, "I have our counselors waiting."

Doctor Sleven and Brenna greeted Jobyna affectionately. "Come with me, my dear," Brenna said, and Sabin followed, carrying the princess' pack.

Konrad, spying Jobyna moving off, left Kenrik's side and rushed to her, taking her hands. He kissed both cheeks before affirming fervently, "I'm so very glad you're here, Princess Jobyna. You brighten this dark day for me."

"I feel the same," she said, smiling but briefly, adding, "We shall just take it one hour at a time, and pray that the brightness will last." She was unable to imagine such a thing was possible.

"We have now," she said, unwilling for him to release her hands.