twelve

Part Two
Mockingjay: Part II

I watched as Peeta lay sleeping on the gurney, strapped down like an animal, he looked too calm to harm anyone. The boy I love could never. But this wasn't the boy I love anymore. He was a stranger now, because of Snow.

"You need to rest." Boggs said to me, causing me to jump slightly, startled at anothers presence. "You've been doing this everyday for, what, a week now? Where's it getting you?" He asked, kindly, not trying to hurt my feelings, but trying to get through to me.

"I'm studying him." I said back, not removing my eyes from the sleeping boy. "Seeing how he is. I just... I don't understand." I looked down.

I heard a rattle and noticed he was now waking. And then suddenly, Katniss came in with Plutarch. The Capitol brainwashed him to think Katniss got his family killed, that she was a threat and an evil person. "Let me in there." I finally said. It had been a week and I haven't attempted to see him. But I needed to now, to see where he stood with me, and what all he may remember. Boggs looked hesitant, and reluctantly agreed, opening the door and allowing me to walk in. I slowly approached him as he turned to me.

"Hi, Peeta." I choked out.

"Hello." He responded, looking confused. My fears began to reveal themselves. I sat on the bed by his feet and placed my hand in his. He recoiled a little but couldn't move away due to the restraints and looked at me, even more taken back.

"Peeta, do you know who I am?" I finally asked him, truly afraid of the answer. He looked at me contently as if he were looking deep into my soul, searching to find some sort of answer to my question.

"N-no." He stuttered and my heart dropped into the pit of my stomach, which was turning in knots. I was at a loss for words now. "Are we friends?" He asked now. I let out a little laugh as tears fell down my face.

"Well, we were more than friends." I said, full on crying now, but wiping away the tears as they came. He looked concerned but also more lost than before. His thoughts probably consisted of why this strange girl was crying next to him.

My hand tightened around his. "We are- were, in love." I looked down. He stayed quiet for a few moments then tightened his hand on mine.

"Who are you? Are you a friend of Katniss?" He asked, sounding frustrated. "Did she send you in here to confuse me and make me angry?" He grew more hostile, holding tightly onto my hand. I tried pulling away, but his grip tightened. He just wanted Katniss dead. Nothing more was on his mind.

"Peeta, no!" I shouted, shaking my head.

"She's a liar and evil. She's a mutt of the Capitol!" He screamed, oh the irony.

Boggs now rushed in, prying his hand from mine and pulling me out of the room. I stood there with eyes on me, wiping the tears once again from my face. Kat looked speechless. I then quickly took my leave and headed back to my room quietly sobbing. What was worse? A boy you love wanting you and your friend dead, or a boy not even knowing who you are? Sadly, I was stuck with both.