King Luke Chatelain sat at one end of the tables, which had been positioned to form a large rectangle. On his right sat Prince Dorai and on his left, Lord Farey. Kenrik, Doctor Sleven, Michael and Adolf sat alongside Prince Dorai. The senior knights sat on benches along the wall behind Luke and Dorai.

Czarevitch Kenrik's counselors were positioned behind him.

King Willem and two of his knights sat at the table, Queen Anstice and their counselors behind.

Prince Dietrick from Zealavia and Ambassadors from Bavarest, Danzerg and Muldaver made up the rest of the group seated around the table.

Jobyna and Minette sat with Queen Anstice to counter-balance there being only one woman present.

King Willem had informed Prince Dorai that he required his queen's advice as he discussed all matters pertaining to their kingdom with her and she was always involved in decision-making at the top. That he considered his wife most wise was a great compliment.

Each country had scribes, seated at desks behind their appropriate dignitaries. The room was a mass of royal activity.

Luke opened the conference with readings from the Gospel Book.

He commented upon the verse, "Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counselors there is safety, Proverbs 11:14."

Luke verbalized an earnest prayer to: "The One and only True God, our Wise Creator who made Heaven and Earth."

Kenrik spoke first, explaining, "Prince Gustovas and Crown Prince Gustav are absent due to a trip to Chezkovia." The czarevitch sat, sheepishly, not wishing to divulge that the Sovereign Prince of Proburg and the Imperial Czar of Chezkovia were possibly in agreement against him!

King Konrad's letter of apology was read, his words, stating Reideaux would do all their utmost to support the decisions made at the conference, were noted.

Each kingdom that had suffered at the hand of Elliad and his attacks presented documents containing evidence describing the raids.

Kenrik gave testimony, stating, "I believe Elliad has imprisoned or murdered my father and is posing as the Czar of Chezkovia, having been joined and supported by my step-mother, Czarina Terese.

"King Konrad has fears regarding the safety of his father, Prince Gustovas, his mother, Princess Rhaselle, and his brother, Crown Prince Gustav. King Konrad hopes to receive word even whilst this Conference is in session, that the Monarch of Proburg has returned safely to Landmari Castle."

Princess Jobyna was called to recount her experience in witnessing Elliad wearing the czar's crown, seated on the throne in the Chezkovian throne room; she testified, "I dined with him and the czarina, and Elliad, gloating, acknowledged his charade as czar."

The rest of the day was filled, listening to proposals as to how the countries could join in ridding Chezkovia of the menace and thus preventing the spread of the reign of the power-mad tyrant. Everyone agreed that Elliad would not ultimately be content to remain peacefully in Chezkovia.

"The troops at Elliad's disposal," Kenrik estimated, "are eighty to one hundred thousand men."

A pensive silence filled the chamber. All realized that even if all kingdoms joined together; without Proburg's help, they would not number those of Chezkovia.

"If Elliad gains Prince Gustovas' support, another fifty-thousand soldiers will be joined to those against us," Kenrik said.

Luke said, "If only there were a way to expose Elliad, or terminate his reign, without having to go to war."