If I didn't know any better, I'd say Harry was beginning to panic. At all cost, that is the end of any hope I have left if I can visibly see Harry worrying. It just so happens to click in my mind how serious this entire situation is. Not that it hadn't before, but now it just feels like the only gateway would be straight to death. 

        "I could help you..." I began quietly, very afraid that I would just get shouted at or maybe even slammed to the wall like that chair. My father could be locked in a room right now with tons of his men dead already for giving their lives to protect him. And all of this hit the pit of my stomach like heavy rocks as I hesitantly watched Harry.

        "No. Don't even think about it." He snapped, his eyes averting to the chair he threw at the wall. He picked it up and roughly placed it back near the desk. "The investigation is off limits for you. I'm not putting you --" 

        "How much more danger could I be in?" I interrupted him hastily. I know I will never get anything good out of trying to stand up for myself, especially to someone like Harry. "I can't possible be in any more danger than I already am. So why can't you just accept my help? We could figure this out together." 

        Harry snickered. "Together? Even if your help would be sufficient, I'm still under orders." 

        I don't know why, but I had enough.

        "Fuck your orders!" I yelled, seeing his eyes snap back up to me. The visible shock was in his hateful, yet beautiful eyes. I gripped my towel so tightly, my knuckles were flushing white. At his words, I lost all my fear of being yelled at or any other type of terror. I was just...exhausted from this all. 

        "I'm sick of hearing you say that. I may not be in the best physically shape to help you fight off some fucking killers, but I do have a brain. One that's gotten me very far. I was almost the valedictorian if I hadn't had to move thirty eight times." I vented out, my voice beginning to waver. 

        Out of frustration, tears brimmed my eyes as I sighed heavily. Harry, with narrowed eyes, took a step forward to me as I took one brave, bold step forward as well. 

        I continued, a tear slipping down my cheek. "And I know I'm not the easiest person to work with, and I can't fight to save a life, but I cannot just sit here and act helpless." 

        "Why are you crying?" Harry murmured tiredly. Again, he was close enough to reach for my face. This time he cradled my face in his hands, the pad of his thumbs brushing away the hot, angry tears. At his gesture, I could have melted right into his strong arms. 

        "Because I'm angry," I sniffled.  

        I peered up at him through my wet lashes, his own pale green eyes piercing through mine.  He dropped his hands from my face, not increasing the distance between us however. "I have to protect you," he lowly said for the hundredth time. "And if that means doing all of this on my own, then so be it." 

        "No, you can't do it on your own. And you know it." I persisted, swallowing down loudly when Harry squinted his gorgeous eyes at me. At this distance, they were so mesmerizing I fought to keep my goal alive. 

        He then sighed and let his facial expression soften, yet of course there was still those eyebrows furrowed in anger and those lips pressed into a thin line. "There are certain things you should not know, Dollface." He rasped out. "I'm well aware of how intelligent you are, but even then you should not be involved."

        "I'm already involved as it is. But now so is my father. And he may be the only person that still even cares about me," I couldn't stop the tears from flowing down my pink cheeks. I don't mean to be weak about it, but it is true in my view. Paige could care less about me, and it is clear to anybody. My father, however, swears to have me secured, and now I could at least return the favor. 

        Harry let his hands run through his thick curls again. "That's not true," he said through a clenched jaw. 

        "What?" I asked softly, yet ready to burst out again. "Are you trying to say that you care about me?" 

        "Catalina --," he started out exhaustively.

         "This is your job. You don't care about me, and I hardly believe you'll ever. That's how it works, right?" I huffed and turned on my heel, ready to start for the stairs when his hands grasped my hips, even through the fluffy, soft material of the towel.

        A squeal left my lips once I was in front of him again, our bodies pressed together. Despite my displeasure earlier, I felt my cheeks burn like fire beacons. I hastily snapped my eyes to his, our noses brushing slightly when he gazed down at me.

        There was silence between us, frustrated, angry gazes burning one another like water never seemed to exist. Like air stopped blowing, and the temperature only ever raised. 

        "I bust my ass trying to protect you," he snapped quietly, "I don't sleep, I barely even eat, and still I'm down here every fucking day ready to have a bullet blown right through my heart. For you. If that doesn't say anything to you, then your valedictorian award is shit compared to the real world."

        My mouth went dry, my tongue nearly knotted as I parted my lips to say something, but nothing even came out. He inhaled sharply and muttered, "I can't say I care about you, Catalina. But in a way, I devote my life to your safety so consider that enough." 

        "I don't have anyone at all," he continued slowly. "No one gives a shit about me, and I don't complain." 

        "Harry --" 

        "Harry nothing, Dollface." He snapped lowly. "Harry nothing," he repeated more gently as he shook his head. "This is not about to be your mystery to solve. Leave that to me." 

        "I've only ever wanted to help you," I whispered.

        "I know." He replied quietly, nodding. "I know, you don't have to tell me." 

        "Then why can't you just let me? Screw your orders, at this point I don't think those even matter anymore." I tried.

        Harry began to groan in exhaustion, sighing heavily. "You make it so hard, Catalina." 

        "It doesn't have to be that way, Harry." 

        "Catalina," he warned.

        "Harry."

        "Catalina." 

        "Harry."

        Harry closed his eyes for a bit, inhaling deeply. "Alright." He groaned out, opening his eyes while he began to shake his head.

        "I'll be safe," I promised him, "With you."

        He watched me for a few seconds without a word spoken. "Get dressed, yeah? We need to go out into the city and buy a new computer. I tore the other one apart."

        "Okay," I nodded slowly, moving away from his grip and rushing up the stairs with my hands still wrapped tightly around the towel, the only thing that sealed my body from Harry's intimidating gaze. 

        When I arrived into my bedroom, I noticed the heat still burning across the skin of my face. I shut the door and leaned up against it, sighing heavily to myself. I can't believe he agreed, still after much persisting. And even still I regret not saying it.

        That when he said no one cares about him, it isn't true.

        note// ooh (: comment and vote please, please, please <3 

        love you all for the support. my goal is 300, and i'll probably like even update again in a couple of hours so ;)