013

HARRY rode in the car with me once more on the way back. The only difference was the continuous silence throughout it. I tried my best to remain closed off towards him. There was no way I could solve the enigmatic puzzles inside of that brain. Or at least, it'd take years, but I don't have years to spend.

        When the car stopped, I could only hear the sound of my father's elated footsteps. Success was the derivation of his happiness, the origin of his good doing. When he found triumph, he sprinkled a bit of gratitude to everyone and anyone. However, when failure came around the corner, he'd shoot down two of his own men. 

        I stepped out the car just before Harry had. He quietly followed behind me. The way his footsteps were barely heard, his breath so steady and quiet. It reminded me of the time I first saw him about five days ago. He was serious this time. He wasn't going to give me the pleasure of hearing him crack and shout, or talk to me even. Harry had completely ripped himself away from me socially and emotionally. 

        The night was warm. Its air was soothing and marvelous. A breath of fresh air. Behind me, Harry was giving off orders. My father walked inside with a man next to him, assumably belonging to him considering the fully black attire. Father talked loudly when he was happy. His cheerful deep tone and genuine smile relieved the tension he tends to bring around with him to any room. 

        I sighed to myself, hitching my dress up by the hips as I took a few steps up the front stairs. Behind me, I heard Harry tell one of the men, "Guard the west for the night. Devon takes the east. North belongs to Jacob and Parker. South's Mr. Gates's section, so advice you choose men willing to work overnight." 

        "Who gets Catalina's side?" 

        "You know I do." 

        I began to walk through the door when I heard someone chuckle. "She's fit isn't she, Styles? What I'd give to have your job."

        Harry paused and I swore I felt him glance at me as I stepped through the door. He plainly said, "Get to work, Zayn. No one goes in and no one goes out through those front gates. Any suspicious activity is reported to Liam. Understood, Malik?" 

        "Got it, boss." Zayn clicked his tongue and winked in Harry's direction, indirectly teasing him about my appearance and how tempting it must be. The thought made me snicker as I finally decided to walk at a normal pace. 

        When I walked down the hallway, I felt Harry sticking around behind to talk to my father. I stopped by the stairs to remove my shoes, pretending to mind my own business, but I'm sure Harry and I both knew I was listening. 

        "Harry, just who I wanted to talk to." My father stopped him. Out of the corner of my eye, I watched my father press his index finger into Harry's chest, a big grin on his face. "I'm very proud of you, son. Catalina said you're a very responsible man and did everything in your will to make her feel secure." 

        "That is what I intended. I'm glad she feels that way," he murmured. A little eye roll left me as I undid the clasp on my right high heel. Secure is what I felt when we finally arrived. There was not a moment a felt completely content besides when he brought me something to eat after debating whether he should let me die of starvation. 

        I did not feel safe when he said he'd kill me himself if he could because I was so annoying. The multiple threats to shoot me if I didn't shut up. All because he wanted to keep himself from getting killed by my father. He wanted to detach himself from me on an exaggerating socially level. 

        Three hours later I had been standing in my underwear and a bra. It was nearly three in the morning, and I've been craving to eat something. I couldn't sleep with the constant sound of the electric fence around my window. They definitely played no jokes with protection. Meanwhile everyone slept, I tied a grey linen robe around me that fell by my upper thigh and planned to leave my bedroom.