THIRTY-ONE

CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE
—stupid death

CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE—stupid death

🗡🗡🗡

  —LIKE the absolute heroic idiot he was, Percy decided to attack Atlas unprovoked. Judith cursed him multiple times in her head as she fought off Luke's dragon-women bodyguards. They hissed in Judith's face but the girl successfully swiped them away. Turns out, they didn't like fire swords either.

  Her eyes drifted over to Percy every time there was a break in her fighting. He was dumber than anyone she'd ever met before, but watching him fend off Atlas ( only barely, but whatever ) was admirable and stupid and she had to force herself to look away.

  Atlas swung a javelin through the air and Percy went flying back into the wall behind him. "Fool!" He screamed gleefully, swatting aside one of Zoë's arrows with little thought. "Did you think, simply because you could challenge that petty war god, that you could stand up to me?"

  The mention of her father sent a jolt through Judith and she charged at the Titan. She wasn't standing up for her father by any means, but he was insulting her indirectly by calling him petty. But just like he'd done to Percy, she was smacked away with little effort just as Percy was standing to his feet with Riptide clasped in his hand.

  But he didn't attack like she thought he would. His eyes were wide and confused as he stared at his sword. Judith didn't know what was wrong with him but as he tried to dodge Atlas's advances, the javelin caught him in the chest and sent him flying like a rag doll. Judith made her way over to him on swaying feet, trying to figure out why his sword wasn't cooperating with him. They were right next to Artemis at that point.

  "Run," she told them. "You must run!"

  Atlas was taking his time as he stalked closer. Judith held her sword tightly, seeing Percy's was no longer in his possession. Luke and Thalia were fighting like demons, lightning crackling around them dangerously. Annabeth was on the ground, desperately struggling to free her hands.

  Judith positioned herself in front of the unarmed boy and stared down Atlas with fearful eyes. It was up to her at that point.

  "Die, little hero," Atlas said.

  And he raised his javelin to impale her.

  "No!" Zoë yelled, and a volley of silver arrows sprouted from the armpit chink in Atlas's armor.

  He bellowed I'm frustrated pain and turned toward his determined daughter. Judith breathed as his attention left, but suddenly Percy was doing something infinitely more stupid and she felt like she couldn't breath properly again.