SEVENTEEN

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
—stupid goddesses

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN—stupid goddesses

🗡🗡🗡

  —EVERYTHING around the group stood still, the snow flurries suspended midair on their way to earth, trapped underneath the overcast night. Everything was frozen in a little pocket of the winter storm.

  Judith tried to fight the wave of calm that overtook her as the horn's alarm died down. She  held desperately to her jittery thoughts, refusing to be caught unawares just because some nature horn blew its siren. She adjusted her arm guard underneath the hoodie, distracting herself from being effected by the magic.

  Time resumed when the manticore began talking again. "No," Dr. Thorn said. "It cannot be —"

  His voice became garbled when an iridescent silver arrow struck him in his shoulder. Judith soured as his body started to deteriorate with just that one hit, like all the slashing and bashing she'd done with a sword was meaningless against some thin metal. Judith wasn't sure she wanted to meet the owner of it, yet she had a feeling she was already acquainted with them, familiarity running through her as she stared at the silver color.

  "Curse you!" He wailed, staggering around, making Judith smirk. It fell as the manticore unleashed dozens of his spikes at once. She should have seen that coming, honestly, monsters were so dramatic. Such sore losers. Not a second later, double the amount of thorns were returned in arrows. Judith had to admit, it was a beautiful sight, like a million shooting stars, but extremely deadly. The arrows pierced each spike with incredible accuracy, the bits of thorn falling lifeless to the ground.

  The manticore yelled his dislike and swung his tail about. Judith avoided it as best as she could, still helping Thalia to her feet.

  She noticed Dr. Thorn hit Percy's shield again, the boy taking the blow with a wince. It was clear he wasn't fully recovered from his poisoned wound.

  It was then that the archers revealed themselves and Judith recognized them instantly. They were decked out in silver parkas and light jeans, all of them held their bowstrings taught, piercing eyes targeted at the fallen manticore.

  "The Hunters!" Annabeth cried happily.

  "Oh, wonderful," Thalia muttered, less than pleased with the back up. The daughter of Ares held the same sentiment, resenting them for their many victories in capture the flag ( like, it wasn't really fair that they were immortal ).

  One of the older girls stepped forward, looking like a leader of a pack and Judith could distinctly recall her and her old-style English. "Permission to kill, my lady?" The 'lady' she was talking to hadn't revealed herself yet but Judith knew who it was as soon as Annabeth had announced just who they were.

  The monster wailed. "This is not fair! Direct interference! It is against the Ancient Laws." Judith rolled her eyes. Exactly, Ancient, as in: dumb and outdated.