TWO

CHAPTER TWO
—stupid tantalus

CHAPTER TWO—stupid tantalus

🗡🗡🗡

—THE children of Ares were frequent visitors to the makeshift infirmary at Camp Half-Blood. Most of the time, they were forced to go by Chiron or some older child of Apollo — Lee Fletcher was a persistent thorn in their sides. Frankly, they all believed the scars and bruises made them look tough.

  Judith was one of the few who did her very best to avoid the medic tents at all cost. She did her very best not to curse a powerful god — Zeus most definitely — every time Kya, a daughter of Apollo, touched part of the reddened burn. She didn't even understand why she needed to touch it so much anyway. She could just drink some nectar and be on with it. Snip snap. She voiced her thoughts.

  "You still need to clean the wound. If it heals without proper cleaning, it'll cover up all the bacteria that got in it and it'll be inside you, creating —" She rambled on and Judith just stopped her with a look.

  "Um, I got it. Just clean up my bacteria, I guess," she mumbled, tensing at every sting. Judith was handed a small bit of ambrosia by the small boy who had warned her of the attack earlier. What a good little courier he was — no doubt a son of Hermes.

  Kya finally finished wrapping up the wound, patting the bandage softly. "Did you see Annabeth and Percy come back?"

  "Yeah," Judith said, "they also had a cyclops with them. A baby cyclops." She blinked, still finding it strange how it was friendly.

  "Oh," Kya nodded. "So that's who fought the bulls off."

  Judith looked away, disappointed that they'd needed a different kind of strength to protect their home. "We're definitely lucky he was there." Clarisse would have done her in for admitting that out loud.

  "Welp, I just hope we don't have a situation like that again anytime soon," Kya said. Judith couldn't help but feel like her wishes might be for naught. "There's some extra camp t-shirts being handed out outside."

  Judith nodded and made her way out of the makeshift infirmary. The girl grabbed two pairs of shirts from one of the nymphs carrying them around. No harm in grabbing an extra.

—IT wasn't long until the dinner horn was blown and Judith was awakened from a nap. She grumbled along with some of her other half-siblings who had also found themselves bruised up from the day's events. Judith made sure to hit the bunk above her own extra hard to get Clarisse awake. She was a deep sleeper.

  "I'm up," Clarisse mumbled, taking her sweet time climbing down.

  "Come on," Judith's impatience roused her siblings. They all walked through the front entrance and down the porch steps. Clarisse fell in step beside her.