t w e n t y o n e

"This is a wild game of survival

"This is a wild game of survival."

•••

AFTER SEEKING MEDICAL attention for her arm from Mary, the doctor, Leanne found herself being forced into a tent and into a bed.

Mary checks her bandages one last time, and replaces the ones around her ankle that Kate has put there what felt like long ago. "I'm sorry I don't remember you." Leanne speaks quietly to the older woman.

Mary shakes her head, smiling. "You probably wouldn't remember me even if they hadn't wiped your memories before going into the Maze." Mary places other bandages on a against the back of the tent. "You were young. All of you were when I first met you." Mary hesitates before speaking. "Uh, do you and Teresa—"

"Know that we're sisters?" Leanne interrupts. "Yeah, yeah we do." She shakes her head. "But that doesn't change anything between us. We've been apart for so long."

Mary nods. "It takes time, but you'll get there." She smiles. "I'll let you be." The older woman exits the tent, and Leanne hears her run into someone. "Sorry!" She hears Mary say to someone, who mumbles an apology back. "She's all good. You should talk to her."

After a couple more words exchanged, the flap of the tent opens and Thomas walks in. Leanne watches him as he comes to sit the edge of her bed, beside her. "How's Brenda?" Leanne asks quietly, playing with a lose thread from the blanket on her lap.

"Better." He nods, not making eye contact. "You?"

"Better." She nods. "Tired of everyone asking how I'm doing."

Thomas sighs. "I'm sorry for snapping at you back in the car."

Leanne looks up at him to smile. "It's okay, Thomas."

He frowns, shaking his head. "It's not. I was just angry, and scared." He eyes the bandages around her right arm. "You already hurt your ankle," He raises his hand to brush his fingers against her temple. "And that guard gave you a nasty bruise." He sighs again, not removing his hand from her cheek. "And then, to see that gunshot wound, it just made me scared that I was going to lose you."

She leans into his touch, enjoying the feel of his warm hand against her cold cheek. "You won't lose me, Thomas." She smiles softly. "Even when I annoy you, you won't be able to get rid of me."

He smiles. "Never?"

"Never." She nods. "Thomas, I—" She inhales deeply. "I, um, I should get some rest." She sighs, looking down in her lap.

Thomas pulls his hand away from her cheek and quickly stands up, taking a few steps back. "You're right, I'm sorry."

"No, no, it was really nice of you to come check in on me." She shakes her head, blushing. "I'm just really tired."