Chapter Thirty Four

Start from the beginning

"Oh, maybe you should try turning around?"

Suddenly my screen fills with an image. An image of a crowded room filled with people wearing burgundy graduation robes and hats. My heart slams into my chest and I whip around, my eyes wildly scanning the room and then I spot her through the crowd. Her face is alight with a ridiculous grin and her long dark hair is pulled up into a bun on the top of her head. I feel my face spread into a wild smile as she casually waves as if this had been the plan all along. And then, the crowd shifts and I see she isn't alone.

The smile falls from my face and I am frozen to the spot as my eyes land on him. Nik.

A satisfied grin settles on his face when he catches my reaction to seeing him here. He told me he couldn't make it. He had played it so well I never would have guessed he would surprise me like this. As Jennie and Nik make their way through the crowd towards me, his eyes are burning with a familiar expression. It's the same look he always has when we first lay eyes on each other after not seeing each other for months.

"Did you know?" I whisper to Becca, only turning my gaze slightly so that Jennie and Nik are still in my peripherals.

"Well, duh. I'm the one who told them they should surprise you!" She exclaims. "You can thank me later."

"Hey babe." Nik whispers and as I turn to face him he pulls me into his arms. I am still frozen. Unable to move until the smell of him hits me and then my arms circle his neck and I hold on for dear life. It's been four months since we have seen each other in person. Video chats and phone calls are no comparison to the feeling of being in each other's presence. My whole body feels light.

"Well, don't hog her!" Jennie complains loudly and I have to force myself to detach myself from Nik. She wraps me in her arms and that's when I realize I am crying. How embarrassing.

"I can't believe you guys!" I choke out as I pull away to get a good look at Jennie. Her petite face is shining with delight and then pity as she wipes away my tears.

"We would never miss this." She coos and pulls me back in for another hug. "I am so proud of you!" She squeezes me tightly then let's go with a loud dramatic sigh, and Nik's arms find their way around me again.

I look up into his eyes and I know that I will never love anyone but him. After two hard years apart, we have grown closer than ever. The time we get to spend together we cherish and never take a minute for granted. It's difficult but I've never doubted our ability to make it through this time in our lives.

Nik brings his lips down to mine but he pulls away too quickly and I know why. As easily as I can read a book, I can read the expression in his eyes; love and desire rest there. If we start, nothing and nobody will be capable of tearing us away from each other until we are satisfied, and satisfaction does not come easily when you only see each other every few months.

"I'm glad we surprised you. I thought Becca was going to ruin it." Nik laughs as he drapes his arm over my shoulder and pulls me close to his side.

"Me ruin it?" Becca screeches indignantly. "Jennie almost told her your flight information three times!" We all laugh, and my heart feels so full in this moment that it might explode.

"Haven." I feel a light tap on my shoulder and turn to see Charlotte Reeds, one of my favorite professors beaming down at me. "Congratulations." She holds her delicate hand out for me to shake. "You have a very bright future ahead of you and I will miss having you in my classroom." I offer her a kind smile, and then she continues speaking in a lowered voice. "I've written that recommendation letter for you, and after speaking with my contact down there I have a strong feeling your going to get the job you applied for in Vanc..."